September 2016 - The Return of the X!?! - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off Road

Garage
As long as it doesn't have a CVT and is more reliable while maintaining a real 4WD system...

Honestly, I'd like a Renegade type vehicle as a city runabout that can still handle mountain snow storms. It means I can put fewer miles on the XTerra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
As long as it doesn't have a CVT and is more reliable while maintaining a real 4WD system...

Honestly, I'd like a Renegade type vehicle as a city runabout that can still handle mountain snow storms. It means I can put fewer miles on the XTerra.
I agree, as an all weather commuter they are a great option. They look good too. However for me the Xterra is a perfect balance of offroad capability, towing ability, size, and I prefer body on frame. A vehicle like the Renegade does not check enough of these boxes to be considered a replacement....for me anyways.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off Road

Garage
I was thinking more of a supplement, not a replacement.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Noobie
2014 Xterra X

Garage
Everything I've seen and the articles I've read tell me they are going to be designed with the pathfinder style rather than the X.

I love my X because it looks like an offroad vehicle even 100% stock. It's probably safer for Nissan to design something comparable to a pathfinder with some offroad capability, rather than having two similar models separating the two lifestyles.

2014 Glacier White X.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:41 PM
2007 Xterra S

The X will rise again. Hopefully, Nissan knows CVT blows monkey balls, they will give us what we need. BoF with a real transmission and absolutely no direct injection carbon fouling unreliablility or electric steering . If they sell enough eco CVTs, then maybe we will get an X that does not suck.

Live Long and Wheel
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra S

Those look bad and they should feel bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Richmond Officer
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM
2006 Xterra S

Here is another new article concerning possible new Xterra.

This Nissan Navara-based SUV could be the next Xterra, but isn't - Autoblog
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
While the author isn't too educated on whats happening with the Frontier, and the article is pure speculation. I dont like the looks but I do agree that is likely what a new Xterra would look like. Slightly longer, crossover-esque and somewhat resembling the 4Runner. Booo
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran
2010 SE "Calliope's Revenge"

Garage
Here's what I keep saying time and time again:

1. The Next Frontier will be largely underpinned by the NP300 Navara. Now that they're bringing in badge-engineered Patrols as the QX and Armada, there's no reason to have an exclusive platform. It will likely get the usual Nissan USA V6 treatment mated to an auto and/or manual, and if the Titan XD performs well then they will likely look at diesel as well.

2. We will likely only get the SUV version IF the Ford Ranger/Bronco experiment pays off. We know that the international Ranger (or a version thereof) is coming to the US. It is my firm belief that the Bronco will be a badge-engineered Everest (which is the international Ranger-based SUV). Toyota already sells droves of 4Runners and Tacomas, so for them the paired truck and SUV model has worked well. If Ford can pull off the same with the Ranger/Bronco combo, Nissan (being the chicken****s they are) will wait until then, and then see that the Navar-UV might have a chance. This model has been proven overseas already, again with the Ranger/Everest, but also the Colorado/Colorado7, Hilux/LC Prado and Fortuner, and the Mitsubishi equivalents (can't keep track).

Production-wise, what separates the Xterra from the Navar-UV is that the Xterra, while based on the same platform, is a substantially different vehicle from the Frontier, with shortened frame(?)/wheelbase and 80% or more different body (and the Frontier in turn is based on a modified Titan platform). The Navar-UV theoretically has the exact same frame/wheelbase spec, and shares 50% or more of body components (from the B-pillars forward), so thus should be easier/less expensive to manufacture (the only differentiation is which body gets plopped on top) - in other words, you couldn't necessarily take an X frame and put a complete Frontier on top of it without some extra work, but with the NP300 you could just pick one and call it a day.

That all said, the Navar-UV won't be an Xterra replacement, it's too big. Its closest equivalent in size and function is the old 05-12 Pathfinder, with a throwback to performance of the Pathfinders of yore with five-link solid rear axle. I think this vehicle might wear the Terrano name overseas, again as a throwback to the original Pathfinder. The Terrano name is currently spread out between old Pathfinders, the Terrano II (which is the closest Nissan has ever come to the Samurai/Wrangler), and the new Duster-based Terrano in India and Russia. The current 2013+ Pathfinder is sold under that name everywhere else.
ghostrider likes this.

Unofficial NEXTerra Promoter, Keeper of the Achievements

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:56 PM
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

So the "new" SUV is the 2017 Rogue?
How is the 2nd generation of a vehicle counted as new? I tend to think of it as revised/improved, not 'new'. Still looks the same at first glance to me.
2017 Nissan Rogue Press Kit - Nissan Online Newsroom

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Xterra News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode