6th Annual NorCal Corral Hollow/Mattley Meadow Run - June 16-18, 2017 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

6th Annual NorCal Corral Hollow/Mattley Meadow Run - June 16-18, 2017

We're up to the 6th annual trip!

Last year's thread.

Optional Friday run and camping this year! This year, we may actually have to be concerned with snow, but we'll play that by ear.

We're going to limit the trip to the first 15 rigs, so get your reservation in soon.

MEETING PLACE IS THE SAME AS LAST YEAR, DIFFERENT THAN EARLIER PREVIOUS YEARS. PLEASE READ ON.

FRIDAY - Optional
Meeting Place - Liberty Vista Point pull out on Hwy 4, on the right, 18.1 miles past the Kwik Serv gas station in Arnold (where you will fill up gas). There is a blue warning sign on the highway for the vista point. If you pass the turn off to 7N09 or the Cabbage Patch Highway Maintenance Station, you've gone about a quarter mile too far.
Meeting Time - 9:30am sharp
Plan - We'll start by running the Mt. Reba trail up by Bear Valley. The short and moderately difficult trail leads to a peak with spectacular views. In the afternoon we will run a few trails off of forest road 7N09. We'll head over to Long Gulch bypass trail and see if anyone wants to try it. This is a trail the the Esprit de Four club maintains and claims requires a highly modified rig.
Camp - At 12.5 miles in on 7N09 and another 4 miles in on 7N19 and 7N76Y, we will camp in a nice spot "on top of" Calaveras Dome. With a nice short walk with your camp chair, beverage of choice, and appetizers and finger foods to share, we'll gawk at the amazing view before us while sitting on a huge dome of granite. We'll be sitting 1800 feet above the North Fork of the Mokelumne River and Salt Springs Reservoir. This is a remote camp site with no facilities (as are all the others) or water, so bring everything with you (and plan to take it all out). We'll cross Moore Creek twice on the way to camp, so if it's hot and the group is so inclined, we can stop and take a dip and clean up.

Saturday
Meeting Place - Liberty Vista Point pull out on Hwy 4, on the right, 18.1 miles past the Kwik Serv gas station in Arnold (where you will fill up gas). There is a blue warning sign on the highway for the vista point. If you pass the turn off to 7N09 or the Cabbage Patch Highway Maintenance Station, you've gone about a quarter mile too far. Space is limited, so park close to one another. We'll either air down here or a half mile in on 7N09.
Meeting Time - 9:30am sharp
Plan - We'll start by running the Mattley Ridge and Meadow trails. The short and moderately difficult trail leads through beautiful flower filled meadows. Unlike in past trips, after we come out on the "main" road (7N16) after Mattley Meadow, and after our group picture overlooking Mokelumne Peak, we're going to hang a left and travel some other back roads up on Mattley Ridge that will avoid the long dusty stretch of 7N09. In the afternoon we will head up the Corral Hollow Rd (7N11) making the usual side trips to Flagpole Point (nice view) and Jelmini Basin and cabin (for another group pic). Lastly we'll head for camp in Bear Trap Basin.
Camp - Once again we'll camp in the spot we've used the last couple years that's a couple hundred yards up the road from the Bear Trap Basin cabin. Plenty of room for everyone, including tent campers (and Jon's hammock). We should make it into camp by 3 or 4, so plenty of time for lounging and exploring the cabin, meadows, and creek. Should be plenty of wood for a fire. There's a mix of shade and sun in this camp.

Sunday
Plan - We'll continue up the Corral Hollow trail. This is the shortest road of the trip, but the scenery is wonderful and the road is more challenging than the others. It will take us until noon or 1 to get out to Hwy 4. We'll air up, and then head down the highway to Snowshoe Brewing Co. in Arnold for lunch and brews and camaraderie (and a last group shot).

Details
First and foremost, fill your gas tank in Arnold BEFORE you head up to the meeting place. There are 3 gas stations in town: a Chevron and KwikServ about the same ok price, and another independent station with higher prices (go figure). The Chevron is on the left and kind of tight to get into. The KwikServ is on the right and has more room, and does take credit cards. With a full tank of gas in Arnold, we'll have more than enough to get around.

Second, please make every attempt to be on time. Don't make all the others wait for you because you had to stop for that 3rd mocha.

Communications...What can I say that hasn't been said already. Communications are important with a group like this. Thanks to Chris, Bob, and others for pushing the ham thing. However, if you don't get around to getting your license before the trip begins, please let me know. At the very least, you should have either a CB or FRS/GMRS radio. I can bring an extra if need be. But, first and foremost, make sure you test your radio before the trip. Finding out you don't have the right connector or 12V adaptor in Arnold doesn't help. The goal is for everyone to have their ham license for this trip. It really does make a difference. I'll print a call sign cheat sheet to share for the trip.

Don't forget all your gear and supplies. Bring all your water. Make sure your X is in good working order. Bring recovery gear if you own it.

Booze: Let's switch it up this year and get folks to bring their favorite growler of beer (or a couple 22oz or several 12oz bottles/cans) to share. Sure, feel free to bring whatever scotch/whiskey/bourbon you desire, but let's try a beer tasting. Bring a cup to share.

Be prepared for any weather. Afternoon thunderstorms can pop up at anytime in the Sierra. Temps in the high 60's and low 70's at this point, with overnight lows in the 40's. Camp elevation on Friday is 5700'. Saturday camp is at 7200'.

Although the cabin near the proposed camp site on Saturday has an outhouse, be prepared for remote camping without one just in case it's full of bees again, full, or you don't want to make the 300yard walk. I'll be bringing my WAG toilet. Bring your own TP.

Firearms: There is a decent place for a range at Saturday's camp (guys have shot there before). However, my strict rule is that the range is only open before happy hour gets started. Simple. If you can't follow this rule, I don't want you on the trip.

This trip can also be done as a day trip either Saturday or Sunday if you can't make both days. You have to find your way in or out (pretty easy) on your own though. And, don't be late if you come in on Sunday. We won't wait for you. There is lodging at Bear Valley and Arnold for those that want to join but can't or won't sleep out under the stars. Let me know if you plan on heading out for commercial lodging before the trip. Note, however, that I will give priority to participants that go both days so if the trip is full of weekenders, day trippers will have to wait until next year. Sorry. I've already upped the list from 12 to 15 this year which is pushing it.

Looking forward to good times and good people again this year!
Dave
KC6QIG

Maps

From 2015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeoXplorer; 04-18-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Still working on the table...

No.NameCityStateHam?Beer?Friday?
1GeoXplorerCampbellCAYesTBD Local GrowlersYes
2Mr. BillsReddingCAYesShasta Co. IPA 
3XKNUTElk GroveCAYesTBD Local Crowlers 
4TurtleXOaklandCAYesAlameda Is. Sea Haggis 
5chrishaynesUSASan JoseCAYesTBD 
6LNXPenguinConcordCAYes  
7VetxSquaredSacramentoCAYesTBD??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeoXplorer; 04-18-2017 at 01:25 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran
2005 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

Garage
I'll bring a growler or two of locally brewed Shasta County IPA.
GeoXplorer likes this.

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
'05 Xterra Off Road; '46 Bantam T3-C Offroad Trailer.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Even better idea, Mr. Bills! Bring a growler of you favorite local brew.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 AM
Supporting Member
05/6 ❌terra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Im in
Beer TBD

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM
2012 Xterra PRO-4X

Already in, but like the growler theme... I'll have to do a lot of research between now and the trip. I might bring two, but I think a growler of Alameda Island Brewing's Sea Haggis may be in my X on the way up the hill.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Supporting Member
2013 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

I'd like to join in on the adventure. Can I bring a few passengers on this run?

--
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran
2005 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXPenguin View Post
I'd like to join in on the adventure. Can I bring a few passengers on this run?
Can they cook as well as you?

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
'05 Xterra Off Road; '46 Bantam T3-C Offroad Trailer.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member
2013 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
Can they cook as well as you?
Probably better. I can only BBQ successfully.

--
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran

I'm IN!

I'll bring a couple "crowlers" of local brew.

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode