Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

PanamintSprings/Death/SalineValley/RaceTrk/LippncottMineRd/EurekaDunes 2016!!

22K views 197 replies 29 participants last post by  campisi 
#1 · (Edited)

CURRENT ACTUAL ROUTE IS TBD........
Panamint Springs
Death/Saline Valley/
RaceTrack/
Lippincott Mine Road
Teakettle Junction
Ubehebe Crater
Crankshaft Junction
Eureka Dunes
Steel Pass 9-13 November 2016
Danny Grooters is leading this trail AGAIN!
he's kindaofa big deal......

Capped at 10 rigs total.
Please declare IN and be counted. after the cap is reached interested drivers can go on wait-list in case there is a cancellation.

There is a Death valley park limit of 12 rigs per 4x4 group so what I will do is to make two group stickers to affix to your rigs declaring one group or the other.
I was going to break into two colors.

I will be bringing my PETT system and Grand Dunny toilet tent and recommend that others do the same.
You never know about the availability of potties.

The expedition portal group has mandatory requirement of some type of potty facility per vehicle.

Rule and regulations here.... Rules and Regulations - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

….0 …...……...Driver............ …..PAX…… State …………..Ham……………………………..
1 Danny Grooters 3 CA YES
2 GrootersGuest ? CA studying
3 ChrisHaynesUSA 0 CA YES
4 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
5 TurtleX 0 CA YES
6 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
7 nworker 1 CA YES
8 Jude 1 CA YES
9 skohl 1 CA YES
10 mistachael 1 CA studying

any updates to the Ham challenge list?

Maxterra
mistachael

jbumx2 CNX
RikRong CNX
Campisi CNX
M&Jeff Tyler CNX
Maxterra CNX
CKAYAKS CNX

We had an all ham trip last year. The coms on 2 meter are fantastic.
Lets all help all of our local attendees to get their quals prior to this trip.

Remember.......

............If Danny Grooters can do it.......

............you can too!! :)

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/43-pacific/178705-norcal-hams-check-here.html

For those that are trying to wrap their heads around what is where and what is closed or what is possible.

I made this conceptual map. Not to scale :)

This year we will start in Panamint Springs and drive to Saline Valley Hot Springs via the SOUTH ENTRANCE. other years we took Lipppencott mine rd to home stake.

so the plan is this:

First night in Saline Valley Hot Springs(Thrusday Night)
Second night in Eureka Dunes (Friday night)
Third(last night) in Homestake Camp. (Saturday night)

We have more rigs this year and Hot springs make sense on a Thursday night so as not to impact the hot springers to much.

Next day up and over STEEL PASS stopping at "Blue Marble BATH" to and finishing at Eureka Dunes.
A large group will not impact that area much either.

And the third day will be through CRANKSHAFT JUNCTION down to Ubehebe Crater, south through TEA KETTLE Junction and stopping at the RACETRACK finally camp at the Homestake camp.

Sunday is go home day and we will drive DOWN LIPPENCOTT MINE ROAD and out via the SOUTH ENTRANCE

Others may wish to retrace route through TEA KETTLE JUNCTION,UBEHEBE CRATER and out via pavement to Stovepipe Wells(GAS)

Late arrivers could possible enter via the NORTH ENTRANCE to Saline Valley Road.(close to Lone Pine.)

You will need an extra 5 gallons of gas.
Food
booze(as needed)
Ham radio
good sense of humour

I have reserved a room at the Panamint resort

Reservations & Availability - Panamint Springs Resort

you should do so as soon as you are able since the rooms will go fast.
also available are camping sites and cabins.

If people can bring 2 bundles of wood that should get us through the cold desert nights.

camping elevations will be as follows
Homestake camp 3770 feet
Eureka Dunes 3200 feet
Hot springs 1380 feet elevation

clothing for cold weather check
lashing for tent in the howling wind check
spare jerrycans of gas check
sleeping bag for cold weather check
shower gear and towels for wonderful hot showers at the saline valley hot springs Check
camera check

See less See more
#10 ·
Please put me down if there is an opening or as an alternate. Have been eyeballing this trip for a couple of years. Have done most of the route at one time or another except for Lippincott. I would have 1 other person riding with me. Don't have a ham but will look into it. Thanks
Steve Kohl

#11 ·
you are added.
please see the Norcal Ham thread regarding getting your ham qual.
we had an all ham trip last year and I would like to do the same again this year.
plenty of time to study your online flashcards.

4 Slots left open. :)

#25 ·
Chris, I know you're pushing HAM, but if someone absolutely doesn't want to get the license can they still come? There are a couple of guys on another forum that are interested in the trip, but they don't want to deal with getting licensed. Basically, the groups they always run in never use HAM and are geared towards CB, and they can't justify getting a radio and license just to run with this group.

#26 · (Edited)
15 test fee
30 baofeng radio ,
total 45 bucks.

good single malt scotch 60-150 bucks.

I have two slots left that I think will probably go to Xterra owners.
And ............if not,.....
I managed to get an all ham trip last year with 16 rigs.
It is just a superior means of communicating.
Money is not the issue.
Motivation is.

if they get a Ham qual in the next 237 days and 21 hours they are welcome to join.
you are a ham ,so sell them on the advantages. :)

I was pressured and cajoled(by friends) into getting mine and am thankful to those that pushed me.

I stand in AWE!! of SCCX and specifically John Tyler III and his efforts to get the entire SoCal Xterra club Ham qual'd

#27 ·
15 test fee
30 baofeng radio ,
total 45 bucks.

good single malt scotch 60-150 bucks.

I have two slots left that I think will probably go to Xterra owners.
And ............if not,.....
I managed to get an all ham trip last year with 16 rigs.
It is just a superior means of communicating.
Money is not the issue.
Motivation is.

if they get a Ham qual in the next 237 days and 21 hours they are welcome to join.
you are a ham ,so sell them on the advantages. :)

I was pressured and cajoled(by friends) into getting mine and am thankful to those that pushed me.
Ohh, I've been trying to sell it to them. The reason I even decided to get my license was because of the SCCX runs, so maybe there was a little bit of "pressure" from some of the "nerdier" operators in the group.

#28 ·
Using the FORCE of your strong personality should be enough.
and the lure of exceptional single malt scotch of which they are not worthy....... :)

and if not then tell them Danny Grooters got his Ham qual.
And if Danny Grooters can......... :):):)

#30 ·
Ham radio should be thought of as required safety equipment, no less important than a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, recovery points, tow strap, etc., and part of the "price of admission" to a NewX.org Pacific Region group run.

See this, where Ham radio saved the day:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/196129-xterra-ambulance.html

and this, demonstrating that cost is not a legitimate impediment to equipping a rig with Ham radio:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/297-electronics/114594-poor-mans-ham-radio-less-than-$100.html
Believe me, you all are preaching to the choir. I've already used my radio to help out in some flash-flooding recovery scenarios around here. I believe in, and love the capabilities of having a ham radio, but not everyone believes in it or feels that it should be a requirement for a run.

I'm a social network-holic and I'm in a group on FB called SoCal Offroad Recovery. The amount of ignorance pertaining to ham radios is astounding. Many guys actually run the cheap HTs on freqs that require a license and they have no idea they need a license. You also get your CB lovers on that page and they talk total crap about ham operators. The general feeling I get is that those people think ham licensing is difficult and the equipment is too expensive. I've tried to spread the word, but it's still not very popular, if people only knew... :laughing3:

#29 ·
Ham radio should be thought of as required safety equipment, no less important than a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, recovery points, tow strap, etc., and part of the "price of admission" to a NewX.org Pacific Region group run.

See this, where Ham radio saved the day:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/196129-xterra-ambulance.html

and this, demonstrating that cost is not a legitimate impediment to equipping a rig with Ham radio:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/297-electronics/114594-poor-mans-ham-radio-less-than-$100.html

#31 ·
There are offroad groups that require Ham radio - no exceptions.

Maybe some of your "my CB is good enough for me/Ham is for nerds" friends could justify getting their Ham license if that is the only way they can participate in an event they want to attend. [I don't mean buying a $35 Beofeng and using it without a license.]

A trail leader needs to be able to set the minimum equipment and skill/experience levels to ensure everyone's safety. I am reminded of the days I was active in the West Coast 4WD Club in Orange County - initially everyone was required to have CB, which evolved into the use of Ham radio. Now there are certain club runs where everyone uses VHF "race radios," particularly the hardcore rockcrawling runs.

I can't imagine trying to tell a trail leader who wants/needs everyone in the group to be able to communicate with each other on the same radio frequency that I shouldn't have to comply. I'm just not that special.

#34 ·
Oh, believe me those guys aren't friends, they're just other members of a group that has 10K+ members. The guys from the other forum are just reluctant to buy something they'll only use once or twice a year (at least, that's what they think will happen).

It is the leader's right to set a standard and it their right to keep people from coming on a run if they don't comply. However, that's hard to push in today's world of "entitlement."
Sounds like folks that we don't need/want on the trip anyway??
Oh, I wouldn't even want to run a simple dirt road with some of those guys on that FB page.

Chris, sorry about the thread jack...

#37 ·
Grooters and Motorpig are hams. CarJeep is active military

if the guys you are asking about are on ClubFrontier then they should know the importance of having a ham qual.
this will be the price of admission for the Death Valley trip.

( of course we may still whack you :) )
big desert , bag of lime, abandoned mine..... :):):)

Just kidding......

#44 ·
Wednesday is a drive day from where ever you are coming from.
Meet is a social meet with beers and the end of your drive day . meet and greet.
trail run start is Thursday,Friday, Saturday and drive out Sunday and home.

In the past some people have even worked that drive day and driven all night to meet us on the trail.(hence the use case for a Ham radio)

#47 · (Edited)
….0 …...……...Driver............ …..PAX…… State …………..Ham……………………………..
1 Danny Grooters 3 CA YES
2 Danny Grooters Guest ? ? ?
3 ChrisHaynesUSA 2 CA YES
4 Maxterra 1 UT studying
5 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
6 CKAYAKS 0 CA YES
7 TurtleX 0 CA YES
8 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
9 nworker 1 CA YES
10 M 1 CA studyin…..
11 snellTaylor 1 CA YES
12 jvr 1or2 CA studyin…..
13 RikRong 1 CA YES
14 skohl 1 CA studyin…..
15 BCBrian 1 CA studyin….reallyHard
16 Campisi 1 CA studyin…..and more studyin....
17 jbumx2 1 CA YES
18 LAST OPEN SLOT NUMBER ? studyin…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.