Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

PanamintSprings/Death/SalineValley/RaceTrk/LippncottMineRd/EurekaDunes 2016!!

22K views 197 replies 29 participants last post by  campisi 
#1 · (Edited)

CURRENT ACTUAL ROUTE IS TBD........
Panamint Springs
Death/Saline Valley/
RaceTrack/
Lippincott Mine Road
Teakettle Junction
Ubehebe Crater
Crankshaft Junction
Eureka Dunes
Steel Pass 9-13 November 2016
Danny Grooters is leading this trail AGAIN!
he's kindaofa big deal......

Capped at 10 rigs total.
Please declare IN and be counted. after the cap is reached interested drivers can go on wait-list in case there is a cancellation.

There is a Death valley park limit of 12 rigs per 4x4 group so what I will do is to make two group stickers to affix to your rigs declaring one group or the other.
I was going to break into two colors.

I will be bringing my PETT system and Grand Dunny toilet tent and recommend that others do the same.
You never know about the availability of potties.

The expedition portal group has mandatory requirement of some type of potty facility per vehicle.

Rule and regulations here.... Rules and Regulations - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

….0 …...……...Driver............ …..PAX…… State …………..Ham……………………………..
1 Danny Grooters 3 CA YES
2 GrootersGuest ? CA studying
3 ChrisHaynesUSA 0 CA YES
4 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
5 TurtleX 0 CA YES
6 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
7 nworker 1 CA YES
8 Jude 1 CA YES
9 skohl 1 CA YES
10 mistachael 1 CA studying

any updates to the Ham challenge list?

Maxterra
mistachael

jbumx2 CNX
RikRong CNX
Campisi CNX
M&Jeff Tyler CNX
Maxterra CNX
CKAYAKS CNX

We had an all ham trip last year. The coms on 2 meter are fantastic.
Lets all help all of our local attendees to get their quals prior to this trip.

Remember.......

............If Danny Grooters can do it.......

............you can too!! :)

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/43-pacific/178705-norcal-hams-check-here.html

For those that are trying to wrap their heads around what is where and what is closed or what is possible.

I made this conceptual map. Not to scale :)

This year we will start in Panamint Springs and drive to Saline Valley Hot Springs via the SOUTH ENTRANCE. other years we took Lipppencott mine rd to home stake.

so the plan is this:

First night in Saline Valley Hot Springs(Thrusday Night)
Second night in Eureka Dunes (Friday night)
Third(last night) in Homestake Camp. (Saturday night)

We have more rigs this year and Hot springs make sense on a Thursday night so as not to impact the hot springers to much.

Next day up and over STEEL PASS stopping at "Blue Marble BATH" to and finishing at Eureka Dunes.
A large group will not impact that area much either.

And the third day will be through CRANKSHAFT JUNCTION down to Ubehebe Crater, south through TEA KETTLE Junction and stopping at the RACETRACK finally camp at the Homestake camp.

Sunday is go home day and we will drive DOWN LIPPENCOTT MINE ROAD and out via the SOUTH ENTRANCE

Others may wish to retrace route through TEA KETTLE JUNCTION,UBEHEBE CRATER and out via pavement to Stovepipe Wells(GAS)

Late arrivers could possible enter via the NORTH ENTRANCE to Saline Valley Road.(close to Lone Pine.)

You will need an extra 5 gallons of gas.
Food
booze(as needed)
Ham radio
good sense of humour

I have reserved a room at the Panamint resort

Reservations & Availability - Panamint Springs Resort

you should do so as soon as you are able since the rooms will go fast.
also available are camping sites and cabins.

If people can bring 2 bundles of wood that should get us through the cold desert nights.

camping elevations will be as follows
Homestake camp 3770 feet
Eureka Dunes 3200 feet
Hot springs 1380 feet elevation

clothing for cold weather check
lashing for tent in the howling wind check
spare jerrycans of gas check
sleeping bag for cold weather check
shower gear and towels for wonderful hot showers at the saline valley hot springs Check
camera check

See less See more
#83 · (Edited)

3 ChrisHaynesUSA 2 CA YES
4 Maxterra 1 UT studying
5 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
6 CKAYAKS 0 CA YES
7 TurtleX 0 CA YES
8 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
9 nworker 1 CA YES
10 M 1 CA studyin…..
11 snellTaylor 1 CA YES
12 jvr 1or2 CA studyin…..
13 Jude 1 CA YES
14 skohl 1 CA studyin…..
15 mistachael 1 CA studying
16 Pathung 1 CA Yes

Maxterra
M
jvr
skohl
mistachael

jbumx2 CNX
RikRong CNX
Campisi CNX

#87 · (Edited)

3 ChrisHaynesUSA 2 CA YES
4 Maxterra 1 UT studying
5 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
6 CKAYAKS 0 CA YES
7 TurtleX 0 CA YES
8 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
9 nworker 1 CA YES
10 M/Jeff Tyler 1 CA YES
12 jvr 1or2 CA studyin…..
13 Jude 1 CA YES
14 skohl 1 CA studyin…..
15 mistachael 1 CA studying

Maxterra
M
jvr
skohl
mistachael

jbumx2 CNX
RikRong CNX
Campisi CNX
Pathung CNX

#88 ·
I'll be taking my Ham Test this Saturday - 9/10 in Fremont. Time will tell! 15 hours of online study so far. I find it harder than usual, probably because of age and also its a subject I'm not really that interested in. Just learning to pass the test.

#90 · (Edited)
For those that are trying to wrap their heads around what is where and what is closed or what is possible.

I made this conceptual map. Not to scale :)

This year we will start in Panamint Springs and drive to Saline Valley Hot Springs via the SOUTH ENTRANCE. other years we took Lipppencott mine rd to home stake.

so the plan is this:

First night in Saline Valley Hot Springs(Thrusday Night)
Second night in Eureka Dunes (Friday night)
Third(last night) in Homestake Camp. (Saturday night)

We have more rigs this year and Hot springs make sense on a Thursday night so as not to impact the hot springers to much.

Next day up and over STEEL PASS stopping at "Blue Marble BATH" to and finishing at Eureka Dunes.
A large group will not impact that area much either.

And the third day will be through CRANKSHAFT JUNCTION down to Ubehebe Crater, south through TEA KETTLE Junction and stopping at the RACETRACK finally camp at the Homestake camp.

Sunday is go home day and we will drive DOWN LIPPENCOTT MINE ROAD and out via the SOUTH ENTRANCE

Others may wish to retrace route through TEA KETTLE JUNCTION,UBEHEBE CRATER and out via pavement to Stovepipe Wells(GAS)

Late arrivers could possible enter via the NORTH ENTRANCE to Saline Valley Road.(close to Lone Pine.)

You will need an extra 5 gallons of gas.
Food
booze(as needed)
Ham radio
good sense of humour

I have reserved a room at the Panamint resort

Reservations & Availability - Panamint Springs Resort

you should do so as soon as you are able since the rooms will go fast.
also available are camping sites and cabins.

If people can bring 2 bundles of wood that should get us through the cold desert nights.

camping elevations will be as follows
Homestake camp 3770 feet
Eureka Dunes 3200 feet
Hot springs 1380 feet elevation

clothing for cold weather check
lashing for tent in the howling wind check
spare jerrycans of gas check
sleeping bag for cold weather check
shower gear and towels for wonderful hot showers at the saline valley hot springs Check
camera check

#94 · (Edited)

4 Maxterra 1 UT studying
5 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
6 CKAYAKS 0 CA YES
7 TurtleX 0 CA YES
8 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
9 nworker 1 CA YES
10 Jude 1 CA YES
12 skohl 1 CA YES
13 mistachael 1 CA studying

Maxterra
mistachael

jbumx2 CNX
RikRong CNX
Campisi CNX
Pathung CNX
M&Jeff Tyler CNX

Please make your reservations soon!! http://www.panamintsprings.com/reservations/

Really good write up on the resort is here.... http://www.erench.com/RESTAUR/CALIF/ESM/PSR01/index.htm

They also have beer.

#98 ·

4 Maxterra 1 UT studying
5 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
6 CKAYAKS 0 CA YES
7 TurtleX 0 CA YES
8 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
9 nworker 1 CA YES
10 Jude 1 CA YES
12 skohl 1 CA YES
13 mistachael 1 CA studying

Has everyone made the necessary preparations?
Food, Lodging,Libations,
Comms, Coolers, ICE,
Gas, Water, Sunscreen, ETC...........

#100 · (Edited)

4 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
5 TurtleX 0 CA YES
6 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
7 nworker 1 CA YES
8 Jude 1 CA YES
9 skohl 1 CA YES
10 mistachael 1 CA studying

Has everyone made the necessary preparations?
Food, Lodging,Libations,
Comms, Coolers, ICE,
Gas, Water, Sunscreen, ETC...........

Maxterra CNX
CKAYAKS CNX

#102 ·
Looking forward to this trip and meeting the rest of you. This will be my first time on an offroading camping trip like this so not too sure what to expect at the moment. Trying to be the best prepared as I can.

For this trip, I probably won't have an on board fridge. Will just be bringing a cooler with me and unsure how long the ice can last in the desert environment for a few days. Or I might possibly forgo the cold goods all together and go with freeze dried meal packages. Anyone have any suggestions?

#103 ·
This thread from Expedition Portal may help you plan provisions so that you aren't dependent upon ice or a fridge: No refrigeration needed - Expedition Portal

I cook as much as possible in advance and freeze in vacuum sealed bags. Even when these items thaw they remain good to eat for a couple of days in the cooler even if the ice has melted and is just very cold water. Regular milk is about the only thing that I carry that must remain cold, but as an alternative one can get ultra pasteurized milk or soy, rice or almond milk that doesn't require refrigeration. Most of my camping trip menus provide for the fact that I may not have ice on the last day or two.

#104 · (Edited)
These new Roto-molded coolers tout 6-9 days worth of cooling.
might wanna explore that.

Temperatures will also be cooler in Death Valley in November.
And possibly freeze each night.
Also whisky needs no cooling , as opposed to beer :grin:

#105 ·
A hunk of dry ice will help, too. We used about $8 worth of dry ice last year , which made frozen margaritas available on the next to last day. :) That was in a older rotomolded "7-day" cooler (that really does last 7 days without the dry ice... not frozen, but still cool).

What I do for trips longer than 3 days is take two coolers. One contains almost all frozen food. I freeze quarts of water and put as many of those in it as will fit (which sometimes is only one). Fill whatever open spaces with ice. I try to think about what I want and where it is before I open it and open it as little as possible. The other cooler is "refrigerator" stuff. I put a couple frozen things in it that I want the first day or two, put big chunks of ice in it. Move frozen stuff to here if I want it to defrost. Seems to work.

The newest rotomold coolers are pretty amazing, RTIC, ORCA, Yeti... They're claiming 10 days now. I had a 10lb bag of ice with a hunk of dry ice, still had 1/2 the bag on the 6th day and I'd opened it a couple times every day. It was outside in the desert, in the shade with high temps in the mid-high 80's.

#106 · (Edited)

2 ChrisHaynesUSA 0 CA YES
3 GeoXplorer 0 CA YES
4 TurtleX 0 CA YES
5 Mr Bills 0 CA YES
6 nworker 1 CA YES
7 Jude 1 CA YES
8 skohl 1 CA YES
9 mistachael 1 CA studying

Dont forget your single malt......

#107 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'd like to go pick up a Yeti, but maybe not for this time around. I'll probably stick with a steel belted and try to make it last as long as I can.

Also, I was considering mounting a 5lb propane bottle up on top of the roof rack. Anyone else do this in the past trips?

#108 ·
There are commercially available mounts for carrying 5 lb. tanks on roof racks. I think Frontrunner sells one.

Whatever you do, mount it vertically not horizontally.

I keep my 11# tank inside:

The regulations for carrying propane in a motor vehicle are here, note that there is no prohibition against transporting a tank inside a vehicle if all regulations are followed:

How to Transport Propane Tanks in the Car | eHow.

See also, TRANSPORTING PROPANE TANKS - Expedition Portal

From Post #4 of that thread:

In summary,

Transport propane cylinders upright, on a flat surface, and secured in a manner to prevent tipping.

Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system.

The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds (In Canada, the rule is a maximum of 5 cylinders, but each cylinder can weigh as much as 66 pounds

If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place.

Canada requires that the the area where the propane cylinders are stored be ventilated, i.e., with windows open or if in a trunk with the lid open slightly.

General propane safety procedures warn against leaving filled propane tanks inside a hot car because heat will cause a build up of vapor pressure which may cause the OPD to vent propane into your vehicle. One way to handle this is not to transport full tanks. Federally mandated Overflow Prevention Devices will not allow filling beyond 80% capacity which may prevent venting in a hot vehicle in most cases, but I typically use a bit of the propane in each tank before a trip for an additional margin of safety.

#110 ·
It shouldn't be a problem.

Propane cylinders for travel trailers are in the direct sun, as are large residential and commercial tanks.

If it becomes extremely hot and excess pressure builds inside a full cylinder, some propane will bleed off through the OPD valve and harmlessly dissipate into the atmosphere. Remember also that the OPD valve prevents filling the cylinder to more than 80% capacity so the chance of such excess pressure is almost nil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.