DIY: Fiberglass 12" Sub Wheel Well Box - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Post DIY: Fiberglass 12" Sub Wheel Well Box

Hey guys!

So I got tired of my huge dual 12" sub box taking up so much of my space in my trunk and i figured id take a try at making my own for a 12 inch sub (or two if the first goes well). I'll start this off by saying that I am 100% welcome to any advice anyone has, this is my first time fiber-glassing and boy it seemed difficult to me. But I got the hang of it more and now i just need to do some sanding and the front of the box. I started by building a mdf frame with some 3/4 inch thick mdf, wood glue, drywall screws, and man power. I'll add more to this write up as i get further along with it, but this and some pictures should do for now. Let me know what you all think.

Edit: Seems most of my pictures are too large to post so ill just do the one that worked for now and compress the others some other time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.JPG (2.00 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by Spirit Racer; 04-20-2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: trying to figure out how to post pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
She's purrty. Can you still open the floor storage compartment?

Are you basing it on manufacturer's specs for size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 292
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
She's purrty. Can you still open the floor storage compartment?

Are you basing it on manufacturer's specs for size?
Yes it can still be opened, you cant see it with the tape, but it ends right at the edge of the rail system. And no, I didn't even think about using that, that would have been a good idea. I used my own measurements! I wont get to work on it for a few weeks again though because I have classes and exams before I go home again, but i hope to finish it within a few days of getting back home.

Also: Here's some more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.JPG (1.55 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.JPG (1.81 MB, 15 views)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Dremel Operator

Garage
That is really excellent. I hope you can still open the compartment after its done. It's very close.

I like how the top of the box is flat. Some people make it curved and ergonomic but don't realize that they're losing valuable storage space

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Quote:
That is really excellent. I hope you can still open the compartment after its done. It's very close.

I like how the top of the box is flat. Some people make it curved and ergonomic but don't realize that they're losing valuable storage space
Yeah i'm very tempted to sand the front edge of it cause it is a little close and after I do fiber glassing on the front it may be too thick. Or I will cut out another piece of wood and just mount the sub in that instead and make it flush with what is there currently. And that's why I made the flat top! all of them including the JL box are curved to some degree and I want to be able to still sit stuff on top or maybe even mount the amp to the top. If this one goes well I am going to build another for the driver's side. Although getting the volume may be difficult due to the gas door bulge by the wheel well. So far its turning out really nice.

I'm still trying to decide on a finish. I dont just want to do carpet, although its certainly still be considered if the others seem like too much work or I mess up.
My current preferred options are:

1. Shiny black finish
2. Shiny white and covered with various stickers I have been collecting
3. Some kindof paint design
4. Carpet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Dremel Operator

Garage
I'd go with shiny black spray paint and then sticker bombed.

Don't mount the amp to the box. There are dozens of tiny fragile solders in an amplifier that will break when exposed to vibrations. I've had an amp die on me and I blame it on mounting the amp to the box.

Put the amp in the storage compartment or the first aid cubby.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Quote:
I'd go with shiny black spray paint and then sticker bombed.

Don't mount the amp to the box. There are dozens of tiny fragile solders in an amplifier that will break when exposed to vibrations. I've had an amp die on me and I blame it on mounting the amp to the box.

Put the amp in the storage compartment or the first aid cubby.
That's the scheme i'm leaning towards now is the black with sticker bomb, but only if the box ends up perfect. Yeah i've heard of that before and i watched some videos/read some articles on it and there are some professional audio guys that use a vibration dampening material between the amp and the box. Ha! I wish it would fit in the First Aid cubby hole, unfortunately the amp is too large. Its really a nice looking amp in my opinion too its a Hifonics Brutus which has blue LEDs all over and is shiny so I want to find a way to display it but keep it cool and away from other materials that could melt/overheat.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM
2015 Xterra Pro-4X

Looks good so far! What sub are you doing? Before you finish id check the stat sheet and make sure the box meets the requirements for the required airspace of the sub. You can always reduce the size of the box with a sealed baffle. But if its too large you could burn up the sub

The brutus is a class d amp. If you can get it to fit in the floor cubby (and want it there) the chances of it overheating are slim. I have 2 amps in there and its fine. Id avoid the tailgate. The weight isnt the issue but the slammimg every time you shut it ist great.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWSRStorm View Post
Looks good so far! What sub are you doing? Before you finish id check the stat sheet and make sure the box meets the requirements for the required airspace of the sub. You can always reduce the size of the box with a sealed baffle. But if its too large you could burn up the sub

The brutus is a class d amp. If you can get it to fit in the floor cubby (and want it there) the chances of it overheating are slim. I have 2 amps in there and its fine. Id avoid the tailgate. The weight isnt the issue but the slammimg every time you shut it ist great.
The subs are 12 inch Kickers, Model Number: 43CWR122. Yeah I found the correct volume required for it and I'm going to port it. Its pretty close to the same as my original box. Yeah I love the Hifonics amps, unfortunately I already have my 4 channel amp for the door speakers in there and i doubt it will fit, but if it does I will happily put in there to stow it away. I'm taking all my finals right now and will get to work on it more this upcoming Thursday so hopefully I can have more done to show you guys! I decided i'm going to do a gloss black sticker bombed for sure tho. I used to live in the panhandle of Florida and have a lot of awesome stickers from smaller companies there that will make the box look amazing. I was thinking if i had too much volume id probably see if I could add in a divider to a portion of it and install another 4 inch speaker for the unused rear channels on my head unit, but I doubt that will happen.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 AM
2015 Xterra Pro-4X

Yea if you have a .4 in there that amps not gonna fit. I think the gloss black with stickers would be cool!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode