Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Front Tow Hitch -COMPLETED-

8K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Coyotebc 
#1 · (Edited)
I could't find much information on the web in regards to front tow hitches besides RockyMtnX's and a few others who used his design. I tried finding the CAD drawings that people mentioned but I couldn't locate them. This leads to me to here. I am going to build my own front tow hitch. I was lucky enough to get a curt front tow hitch from a local member (Thanks again Sheffner!) So I am going to use that as my base for the hitch but I am going to cut the bracket off and reweld the brackets so that the receiver opening is in the middle of the bumper and not low like the curt is. I am not sure yet if I will use it to replace the stock bumper bar in the front or not yet. I will update this as I go along and try to take as many pictures as I can. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas as I move along in this project, I am open to all thoughts. Wish me luck.

Nick

#2 ·
Awesome man!
I will be keeping a close eye on this as i have been wanting one for awhile. Originally joined here to try and search / beg my way into a copy of those elusive RMX plans, but never had any luck. Eventually was gonna try and make one up with a friend who's a welder by trade. Maybe now ill finally get around to it.

#3 ·
crap, just lost internet connection and lost a big paragraph. In summary:

- stock bumper bar will likely be in the way. Plan to replace
- use "wings" like rockymtnx and surf and snow
- buy curt 2" receiver tube from amazon
- don't use anything less than 3/16" wall steel tube for main receiver brace
- use 2 bottom bolts on each frame horn (where tow hook attaches) and 2 bolts on end of frame horn where stock bumper bar attaches. Gusset these two plates.
- use google sketchup (free) or other dwg software to draw this out and model ahead of time.
- stock bumper comes off in 10 mins or so once you have done it once or twice.

good luck!

#6 ·
crap, just lost internet connection and lost a big paragraph. In summary:

- stock bumper bar will likely be in the way. Plan to replace
I figured that, I am thinking of how I want the wings to pertrude now.
- use "wings" like rockymtnx and surf and snow
See above answer lol
- buy curt 2" receiver tube from amazon
I have the curt front to hitch already, so I am going to cut its brackets off and use that as my main bar along with receiver tube.
- don't use anything less than 3/16" wall steel tube for main receiver brace
I am already sourcing 3/16" plate and tubing I will use to cut out my brackets along with any hacking of the factory Curt hitch I will need to do
- use 2 bottom bolts on each frame horn (where tow hook attaches) and 2 bolts on end of frame horn where stock bumper bar attaches. Gusset these two plates.
I planned on using those exact holes
- use google sketchup (free) or other dwg software to draw this out and model ahead of time.
I found on facebook in a Xterra group a google sketchup of a hidden winch mount, so I will probably base it off of that in term of my mount and such
- stock bumper comes off in 10 mins or so once you have done it once or twice.
This is what I was looking forward to least, glad its going to be semi-easy!

good luck!
Thank you!

#4 ·
I am no professional welder, but I have learned over the years to weld pretty decently. My plan it to chop the mounting brackets off for starters, and then basically just raise the receiver from where it would have sat, to the opening in the bumper. From there I am going to see what I need to do for brackets. I am at work now just scribbling down ideas and I think I am going to leave the stock bumper bar in for added strength of the frame horns along with extra protection in case of a front end crash. By doing this, all I really need to do is make some beefy brackets for it, and then weld it all together and bolt it in. I am hoping this stays as simple as it seems to me in my head right now lol.

#5 ·
I am hoping this stays as simple as it seems to me in my head right now lol.
Haha, I have found that when fabricating things at home, that is rarely the case!
So are you only planning on having the receiver mounts bolt to the bottom of the frame horns, or both front and bottom and bolting the stock tissue paper bumper bar over that?

#8 ·
Little update for you guys. I took off the front bumper for the first time today, and boy was I surprised at how easy it actually came off if you follow the grill removal and bumper removal "how to" here -->
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/2311-how-grille-removal.html
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/2314-how-front-stock-bumper-removal.html#post188633

After the bumper was off, I unbolted the lower bumper bar (four 17mm bolts, 2 on each side), along with my tow hook (two 17mm bolts) and radiator skid plate (four 10mm bolts) to give me full access without anything being in the way.

Like I said earlier, I plan on using as much as the Curt front hitch as possible. Upon inspecting the hitch, its all 1/4" from the mounting plates to the wall thickness of the tubing which is going to be awesome and keep it very beefy. The measurements in-between the frame horns is a hair under 30 inches on my truck, and the Curt front hitch originally extended to the outer parts of the rails which works out perfectly so I have room for cutting, trimming, and welding. The Curt mounting frames originally hugged the outside of the frame rails, but there is room for the mounts on the inside of the rails (Fits perfectly next to the foam sheet blocking the radiator). I am working against the clock today because of work so bear with me, but I already put the truck back together for the day and was able to cut the mounting brackets for the hitch off. The next few days I will be away but will be on here periodically (Just not working on the project). The next time I pick up the grinder will be Tuesday probably to clean up the mounting brackets and get the bolts to the truck so I can then go from there.

Attachments

#9 ·
Did a lot of grinding today to clean up the mounting brackets I cut off of the original hitch. Not they are back to being smooth and I also ground off the powder coating where I will be welding, if anyone wasnt aware, trying to get powder coating off SUCKS. I also prepped for welding the main bar from the hitch that I will be trimming down to fit in between the frame rails. I picked up some additional M12x1.25x45 and M12x1.25x60 bolts (Wasnt sure what length I needed) for the lower mounting holes that are using the tow hook spots. I also bought some 3/16"x3"x3' flat stock to use as my additional mounting bracket pieces. I will be cutting it down to size and drilling out the mounting holes for it. Tomorrow I am taking the front bumper off again and am hoping to get enough work done that I can tack weld some stuff in place to try to get some better ideas on how it will turn out. I will keep this updated as I move along!

Nick

#10 ·
I have been wanting one as well for a basket and/or rod holder. However, RockymtnX builds them and they are not cheap. $600+ if I remember correctly. The plans used to be out there for free. However any plans out there are not correct and have wrong / missing measurements.

#11 · (Edited)
Yea, I couldn't trust any of the info I found online, so to be safe, I am doing it all myself! knowing the Curt hitch was meant for straight pulls of 9,500 pounds I figured they build it quite sturdy and thats how I justified cutting off the brackets and trimming down the tube to fit in between the frame rails. I got caught up today with hunting preparation for tomorrow, but I will be taking the bumper off Sunday morning and working on it all day long and probably most of Monday morning before I have to slap it all back together to drive to work. Ideally I want it all tacked together this weekend so I can do a mock fit and see what else I will need to do before fully welding it. To look into some of the cost for anyone wanting to do this....

Curt front hitch - $151.00 (Amazon)
1/4"x12"x4" steel - $10.00 (7 pieces, I could have used 5 but wanted a plate to practice welding on and another I messed up cutting on) (Lowes)
M12x1.25x60 Grade 8 bolts - $9 for two bolts (Lowes)
Grinding/Cutting/Flap Disks - $8.50 (Harbor Freight)
Cupped Wire Wheel - $4.50 (Harbor Freight)
Standard Wire Wheel - $4.50 (Harbor Freight)

Those are the things I purchased or acquired so far for this project, so roughly $247.50 hypothetically invested. I was graced with a front hitch luckily. But this is an affordable alternative so far to other options out there (most of which arent even made anymore). You can make it even cheaper if you bought your own steel and just welded it together yourself. I will be updating this come Monday evening when I have time.

#12 ·
Update time: The rain cut me short today, but I got my first bracket measured, cut, and tack welded together. I returned the 3/16"x3"x3' flat stock, and picked up 1/4"x4"x5' flat stock (just under $50 from the local Lowes). I figured if I am going to make this I want thick steel and for it to be strong. I know 1/4" probably wasn't needed and I could have used 3/16" to save on weight/money, but I am okay with it for additional strength. Here is 2 pictures of the bracket with no holes drilled yet for mounting. I saw in multiple other posts about the gap needed for the factory frame metal protrudes, so I am accommodating that with a 1/2" steel spacer so that I can weld the bottom part directly to the front mount from the factory bumper bar holes. It doesn't look like much right now, but tomorrow (rain pending) I am going to take the bumper back off and put the bracket up and take a picture to better show what I will be doing.

Attachments

#13 ·
Another update for you guys. I was tired of waiting around constantly on people to help me out with their larger welders, so I went and bought a Lincoln 225 stick welder! I ran a 220 volt plug right off of the main panel and gave it its own 50 Amp breaker. Now I can weld, well just about anything I can get my hands on haha. Here is a picture of one of the brackets I made almost completed. Before I gusset the steel and get the actual receiver part welded up, I am going to drill the bolt holes and get both brackets bolted up, then I will hold up the main bar and tack weld it in place then do a full weld on it. Things are looking good so far!

Attachments

#14 ·
Not much progress today, but ended up getting the second bracket welded so now in the coming days I can drill them for the bolt holes. Here is 2 quick pictures of some of the lap joint welds I ran in some spots. Everything is being welded on both sides, and I am using the Lincoln 225 set at 120 amps and i am using 1/8" 7018AC Lincoln electrodes. Penetration is nice and full (tested on scrap 1/4" plate) and passed the BFH test. Like I said in earlier posts, I am going to gusset this thing once I get the bolt holes drilled and I see where I am going to use more 1/4" plate as gussets. Yes I know this is going to be heavy when all done, probably around 50 pounds, but thats okay.

Attachments

#15 ·
Made some more small progress today. Did some more welding and I am really getting the hang of this welder now. The beads I am laying are penetrating and fusing nicely. Only issue I am having is that my plates are not staying at a perfect 90 degrees anymore due to all the heat they are maybe around 80 degrees instead. I am going to grind down those welds and then bend the plate back a tad and then re-weld it while it is in a right angle clamp. Didn't snap any pictures today but here is a pic of how most of the welds are looking now, I am really happy with this welders performance so far.

Attachments

#16 ·
Also, at the end of the project I am going to write up a specific list of parts cut, etc, so that if someone else wanted to do this they can. The cutting of the steel and welding is the only issues I see for most people, but the cutting can be done with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, a sawsall with a designated metal blade, and I am sure other ways that are simple. For welding, there is real no way around it if you dont have a welder. If you have one, great, get some scrap and practice practice practice, if not, find someone who does and ask if you can use their machine. I am really hoping this might help someone down the road.

Nick

#17 ·
Well the day has come.... ITS DONE! Well kinda, I still have to wire wheel and sand it and paint it, but its all welded and stuff! I gusseted the brackets, welded in the main hitch bar, and bolted it up to get a good fit. I ground out a slot in the stock bumper bar so it would accept the gusset I made, and so it remained in place in case of an accident or something. I weighed the hitch I made and it is hovering around 44 pounds on the scale I used, so not really that bad of a weight. Tomorrow I am going to get some grade 8 hardware to replace the 4 front bolts, and then 4 tow hook bolts. I had it bolted on today and for fun my dad and I stood on it and bounced up and down on it, and it didnt flex or move at all with close to 400 pounds bouncing on it, just the suspension sinking. After its all painted and stuff I am going to bolt it on for good and trim whatever plastics I need to trim. Here is a picture of it completely welded right now. I will have more pictures once its all painted and cleaned up, along with sometime this week making a full parts list and measurements list if someone ever wanted to do this on their own also. Thanks for looking!

Nick

Attachments

#22 ·
Its definitely beefy as hell. It utilizes the 4 front mounting holes for the stock bumper bar (while allowing you to keep it in "just incase" of an accident), the 4 holes for the tow hook locations, and the way it is gusseted and framed out, well, its kinda just strong as hell. The 1/4" plate definitely beefed it up over the 3/16" plate I was originally going to use. Yes it added some weight, but weighing in at 44 pounds, I am not too worried at all. Over the course of the week I will be doing a little work on it between sanding, painting, etc. None of my local stores had the length/grade bolts I wanted so I had to order them so they will be here in about a week anyways. Once it is on I will get some more pictures up for you guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.