Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

CB hookup

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Creek 
#1 ·
I am going to "attempt" to install my CB tomorrow for a Sunday trail ride. In the instructions, it seems pretty simple. But, because I am usually a moron, I am reading WAY too much into it. When connecting everything, I have 3 wires: black, red, and orange. I know the black goes to a ground. That's simple. The orange goes to a constant power source, which I am going to join it to the cigarette lighter in the center console. The red wire says to connect it to an accessory fuse. I don't know what that is. Is it possible just to connect the red wire to the orange wire, and then connect that to the cigarette lighter wire? How else would I be able to hook up the red (accessory) wire? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The center console socket does not provide constant power, you will need to run the orange somewhere else either match it up with the stereo constant, or one of the sockets up front, I can't remember which one is always hot or you can tie it in with the red at the console, but your CB will not hold the current station when you turn off the power at the key.

#3 ·
Is it a big problem that it doesn't hold the current station? Is that the only reason not to use the cigarette lighter? If so, it's not a huge problem to me. I don't plan on using my CB radio super-often. So, if I have to manually select the channel each time I use it, it's alright.

#4 ·
:clown: I'm not quite sure what model CB you have, but GENERALLY--

--The RED lead (power) should go to any IGNITION switched power--

--The ORANGE lead (memory) should go to the BATT (+)--

--And you're right about the Black (ground), CHASSIS !!

--You can combine the RED/ORANGE and if you send both to BATT (+), you'll get good reception, but you will have to physically turn thr CB on/off-

--Don't just patch intp power anywhere you can find it, you'll get all kinds of engine interferene/ignition/alternater/matter transmitters/atom exchange-you know, the normal stuff--Good Luck

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO-

#5 ·
See, this is where my stupidity comes into play. Do I just connect it to the fuse? Or do I have to find a wire. The diagram that came with the CB (it's a Cobra 18WXST2, btw) shows the red/orange wires going into the fuse box itself. Red DC power cord to an accessory fuse and orange to a constant fuse (i.e. cigarette lighter). When you say "it should go to the battery", how would I connect it? Straight to the battery? That doesn't seem right. Like I said, electronics are not my strong suit. I am sure this is WAAAAAY easier than I am making it out to be.

#6 ·
:clown: Your info says RED to Accessory, because that means it will turn on, with your IGNITION--

--YES you can, for the best, run a long 16 ga (orange would be nice) wire right to the BATT (+) (I HAVE) , takes about 10-15 ft of wire. That is for the BEST NON-INTERFERENCE hook-up--

--YOU CAN, just go to your nearest cig(PWR) recept-and the system will work OK, so what the hell, it's not normally that important, to be PERFECT !!

--Oh, and go ahead and combine RED/ORANGE if you do that, it'll work !!

-- :geek: :geek: JIMBO

#7 ·
Jimbo, you rock the casbah.

I'm not worried about perfection. I don't trail that much. Do you know how bad the interference would be if I do the red/orange to the cigarette lighter? Enough that I would miss out on stuff? I don't plan on talking to truckers on the interstate or anything, so some interference wouldn't seem like a bad thing.

#8 ·
:clown: Well your interference depends on your signal strength, engine condition and RPM:etc--

--If your having NORMAL conversation, you just adjust your SQUELCH to control any major interference--NO BIGGEE--

--My CB, is mounted to the overhead and since I had OTHER leads going to the NUCLEAR REACTOR (battery), I just combined them to the BATT(+)--

--

--Usually, when you're CB'n everybody is close enough, so a strict, by the book, hookup isn't necessary !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

#9 ·
Alright, another stupid question from me. I tell ya, if I didn't ask stupid questions, I wouldn't ask any questions at all.

Is it possible, JUST possible, to take a cigarette lighter adapter and connect the CB wires to it, and then just plug it into the lighter every time I want to use it? I bought an adapter today for $1.50 and it has a positive and negative wire, and then the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Could I use that, instead of hardwiring it directly to the wire in the cigarette lighter itself? Just a curiosity question. I figure for $1.50, it might be worth it.

#10 ·
1_BAMF_X said:
Alright, another stupid question from me. I tell ya, if I didn't ask stupid questions, I wouldn't ask any questions at all.

Is it possible, JUST possible, to take a cigarette lighter adapter and connect the CB wires to it, and then just plug it into the lighter every time I want to use it? I bought an adapter today for $1.50 and it has a positive and negative wire, and then the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Could I use that, instead of hardwiring it directly to the wire in the cigarette lighter itself? Just a curiosity question. I figure for $1.50, it might be worth it.
Yes you can....of course it then occupies one of the sockets and looks a little untidy. I see you have the same CB as me. Here is my installation. I cheated and connected the CB wires to the HU power and ground wires.

#11 ·
Damn, that looks pretty clean. As far as the untidiness, I am installing it in the center console, with that hidden cigarette lighter. So, it shouldn't be a problem, as far as I can tell. I'm going to attempt it tomorrow, so I'll let you know any issues that I encounter. Thanks!

#13 ·
AZ-Ted said:
There is something to be said for a professional installation from a CB shop. They'll install it, TUNE it, and guarantee their work. In most cases, you'll be in and out of the shop in an hour or less.
I think there's something to be said about learning how to do this stuff yourself. That's what mods are all about!!!! Granted, it might take you twice as long (at least), but knowing you did it yourself is something to be proud of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.