Fabricating an Off-Road Trailer - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By slightlywicked76
  • 1 Post By jsexton
  • 1 Post By jschmidt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Send a message via AIM to CAchief
Fabricating an Off-Road Trailer

I've been away for awhile-good to be back!. In that time our family has expanded. +2 kids! Besides the time commitment, the space in my 2005 off road X leaves no room for camping gear with the wife, 2 kids and a dog. A trailer or a larger vehicle is imminent. I love my X.

The price and availability of the military trailers is challenging. While searching CL, I found a local fabricator that makes off road trailers. With 35" tires they weigh less than 500lbs dry. I thought that was great. He can pretty much make make it to your specifications (RTT, water, gas, on board air, tool box etc.). I just need a utility trailer and might be interested in a RTT and some other things. I do moderate off roading, nothing crazy. My question is this: What other questions should I ask of him (suspension, tongue, etc.. ) that I need to request before he begins to build.

His general trailer is 4'x5' main box with baskets on top that lifts with gas shocks. All wiring through frame. 2"x2"x0.120 wall structural tubing for main box with 1.5"x.120 wall tubing for fenders.

I've read some of the user builds on here and that gives me some insight. Any direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The photo is a trailer he built and posted on CL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170517-161132.jpg (491.1 KB, 32 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 PM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

I would consider the following:

1) make the tongue long enough that you can open either the hatch or tire carrier with the trailer attached.
2) have the lid solid so that the trailer seals and locks. This will keep the dust and water off your gear when on the move and since it locks you can use it as long term storage for your gear.
3) go with the same tires and rims that are on your X, this way you won't have to carry different spares.
4) if you are considering a RTT than ensure that the lid can support a 250lb dynamic load and a 1000lb static load (depending on the size of those sleeping in the RTT). You will also need supports on the corners so the trailer doesn't flip while you are sleeping in it.
5) have back-up lights installed on the trailer and wired into your 7-pin harness.
6) install a receiver in the backside of the trailer so you can carry a hitch basket if need be.

Good Luck!
CAchief likes this.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Locked, Armored & Bumpered
PRG UCAs & Radflos
ALCAN Rear Springs w/U-bolt Flip Kit & ARB Diff Cover
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlywicked76 View Post
6) install a receiver in the backside of the trailer so you can carry a hitch basket if need be.
Hahahaha that's so awesome

If you still need more space just start ratchet strapping things on haphazardly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: 292

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Don't underestimate how much weight you will put in. Error on the heavy side for the axle. You can always go heavier than needed for the axle and put the right weight springs on. Bearings last quite a bit longer if you do that.
CAchief likes this.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road

You'll want a solid top with a gasket.
CAchief likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Send a message via AIM to CAchief
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlywicked76 View Post
I would consider the following:

1) make the tongue long enough that you can open either the hatch or tire carrier with the trailer attached.
2) have the lid solid so that the trailer seals and locks. This will keep the dust and water off your gear when on the move and since it locks you can use it as long term storage for your gear.
3) go with the same tires and rims that are on your X, this way you won't have to carry different spares.
4) if you are considering a RTT than ensure that the lid can support a 250lb dynamic load and a 1000lb static load (depending on the size of those sleeping in the RTT). You will also need supports on the corners so the trailer doesn't flip while you are sleeping in it.
5) have back-up lights installed on the trailer and wired into your 7-pin harness.

Good Luck!
As far as tires/ wheels go I'm thinking about getting new tires soon so that won't be an issue. Should I stay away from used X wheels to put on the trailer?

Asked him about the above points and this is what he responded:

"Yes can do back up lights on the trailer. Can do weather resistant for additional. The top should be able to hold at least +800lbs. Landing gear can be added. Standard axle rating is 2500lbs but can be increased if desired"

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member
2006 Super Black Frontier LE

That looks like a fun project to do!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode