Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Journey To Colorado, Arizona, & Utah - Sept 6-30, 2014 (New Pics Added 10/31/14)

10K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  Stoic V 
#1 · (Edited)
Last made a trip out to Colorado two and a half years ago. It was an awesome trip, but to my regret I was only there for 3 days. I've been wanting to get back ever since. I thought about it last year, then began to see that it wasn't realistic, so I set my sights for the year after. That time is now here and if I'm going to do it I won't make the same mistake I did last time, especially with there being so much to see and do. Decided to lump all my vacation time together and take a few weeks to make it happen.

After some research and planning, I came up with a route including a few of the key areas I wanted to explore. I'll be following this route but not following a strict itinerary. The plan is to camp, hike, wheel, explore, and more! It'll be me, my girlfriend and a buddy of mine. We will be meeting up with my cousin and her boyfriend for a day while out there. Hopefully meeting up with some of you folks along the way as well. It should be the trip of a lifetime.

Here's some images of the route once I'm there:

Map

Satellite

- Including the trek from Connecticut then back to Connecticut, it's around 5600 total miles.

- Going to maybe stop at the Four Corners while passing through the northwest corner of New Mexico.

- I have a list of possible things to do in each place, along with a list of places to wheel and trails to hike. I have some awesome hikes already planned and have been in touch with a few people to organize some trail time. For the most part we are just going to take it easy and be sure to take it all in.

- For those of you familiar with any of these areas, feel free to input any info, advice, or recommendations you may have.

- I'll be doing some updating, I just wanted to get this posted up while I had the time. Pictures, videos, questions, and other info will be posted here as the trip unfolds.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. That's quite an itinerary. You'll be around some of the best wheeling and scenery you can imagine.

Here is a web site with good information about off-roading trails in Colorado and Utah that is very helpful. http://www.traildamage.com/

Not sure where you'll be in this circuit on Sept. 20th, but I'm hoping to get up to a trail called Twin Cone just off Kenosha Pass in Colorado that day. There are huge forests of aspen trees there and at that time of year the Fall colors should be spectacular.

Keep us posted!

#8 ·
I will most likely still be back around Grand Junction around the 20th. I'll be in the Twin Cone/Kenosha Pass area mid-week as I'll be making my way back on I-70 into Boulder/Denver for the end of the week and weekend. So I'll be a few days late! Let me know if anything changes

Let us know if you want to meet up with the NORAC crew while you're in town!
If you swing into Denver some of the NORAC crew can meet up for beers
Of course. I'll be in the Denver area for a few days at the beginning of my trip and then again at the end before I leave. A little over a weeks total time.

Also, let me know if you guys organize any other trail runs in the area. If I'm around I'm there.

#4 · (Edited)
If you have any questions, I can speak in detail about the point "M" on your itenary - Black Canyon of the Gunnison, North Rim. My wife's family has lived in that area for over 100 years. We have a cabin and private hunting property not too far from the North Rim park (I've been going out there for 20 years). I'm really surprised to hear someone focusing on the north rim, it is not as accessible as the south rim, so it get far less visitors. The views of the canyon are great though. The drive on hwy 92 from the Blue Mesa dam just west of Gunnison for the next 30 miles is really fun and beautiful. You'll stop and look a lot, if you want to hike, I suggest the Pioneer Point trail (in the Curecanti Rec Area), and inside the North Rim Park Boundary I'd hike out to Exclamation Point.

I would plan more time around Ouray and Silverton, there's SO much to see there, so little time.

Enjoy your trip, you will remember it always!

#9 ·
Yea the drive on Highway 92 is part of the reason I chose the North Rim! Free camping, the views, and less crowds made the North Rim seem like a no brainer to me.

Some beautiful country - you could spend a lifetime on your route and not see it all so don't be disappointed when you have to pass something up. Bring some warm clothes as you'll be in some high country and nights will get cold in Sept - snow predicted over 10k feet near me tonight. Don't be shy, stop at the mom & pops and visit - many westerners may not seem overly friendly but believe it is more affording you privacy. If you initiate conversation they will open up and talk your ear off. When you get away from larger towns and major highways fill your tank at 1/2 as many places are closed nights and Sundays.
Thank you I appreciate the advice. :thumbup:

#6 ·
Some beautiful country - you could spend a lifetime on your route and not see it all so don't be disappointed when you have to pass something up. Bring some warm clothes as you'll be in some high country and nights will get cold in Sept - snow predicted over 10k feet near me tonight. Don't be shy, stop at the mom & pops and visit - many westerners may not seem overly friendly but believe it is more affording you privacy. If you initiate conversation they will open up and talk your ear off. When you get away from larger towns and major highways fill your tank at 1/2 as many places are closed nights and Sundays.

#10 ·
So make sure to stock up on supplies/food before you leave Gunnison, there's nothing out there til the other side of the North Rim Park. There is a convenience store called "Desperado" just past the turn off to the North Rim Park, this is just as you're coming in to Crawford. Gas, a few grocery items, but everything there is high as a cat's azz. It's mainly geared for the hunters that frequent the area.

If you're looking for some good food, good burgers and such at a place called The Boardwalk in Crawford, I haven't eaten there in a year or so, but it was still there in July when I was last in Crawford. I like a place called Zack's BBQ better in Hotchkiss, especially like their generous breakfast. You'll see these two towns on the map, they're after you start coming into the adobes.

Useless trivia: Joe Cocker has a big ranch in Crawford. He used to run a restaurant there in Crawford, it's a nice looking place on the left as you make the 90 degree turn in town (inside of the turn). Couple of different startups have happened in there after Joe shut down, it just can't survive the lack of business in the winter.

#12 ·
When you're in Page, stop at the following. Upper and lower Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe bend, both of those you drive up to and its like a half mile walk. Upper and lower antelope are guided by the indians. Then you can wheel up to alstrom point. Easy wheeling, one part requires some height clearance, but I did it stock. All the points are highly photographed and well worth it.

if you have time check out wire pass also. Just a quick google search and you'll be convinced to check these places out. Its truly one of a kind.

#15 ·
I had originally planned on both of those. I'm definitely doing Horseshoe Bend, but may skip Antelope depending on time. Thanks for the recommendations

Have a safe trip and enjoy. Get your butt out of bed real early - sunrise is the best time of day!!!
Thanks a lot :eek:ccasion5:

Let us know when in Denver!
Will do!

#17 · (Edited)
Day 2 - September 7th, 2014 - Travel Day

Toledo, OH to Lincoln, NE. Miles traveled: 718.6

Not many pics for the day haha. Home made chicken sandwiches and a real long drive

Will finally be arriving in Colorado today. Heading into Boulder for a day or two to kick off the trip!

#18 ·
you could do antelope canyon and horseshoe bend easily in 2-3 hours depending on the tour times.

Horseshoe bend you park at the trail head and walk out it. Its about 3/4 of a miles. Its a beatiful place for sun set, you'll be facing west.

If you want to wheel up to alstrom point I'd stay the night you'll be facing east and lake powell looks great at sunrise.

#19 · (Edited)
Day 3 - September 8th, 2014 - Travel Day/Boulder, CO

Lincoln, NE to Boulder, CO. Miles driven: 499.6

Got into Boulder around 5 and explored the a little bit. Pulled into Boulder Nissan while I was passing by and ran into Blueberry. Found a cool restaurant to eat dinner at. That was it for the most part as we we were all pretty taxed from the 2.5 days of driving.

#20 · (Edited)
Day 4 - September 9th, 2014 - Boulder, CO

Hiked the Flatirons. Was a mildy strenuous but great hike with some awesome views.

Also got to explore Boulder a bit more, eat at another great restaurant, then was able to meet up with Treff (Truffle's) for a beer at the Bohemian Biergarten.

#22 ·
Day 5 - September 10th, 2014 - Boulder, CO/Denver, CO

Spent some more time checking the place out. Went to do some indoor rock climbing, walked the Pearl Street Mall, and checked out a nearby farmers market. Lots of cool places to be. Also, I can't get over the restaurants. The food we had was phenomenal in each place we want.

Made the short trip to Denver earlier tonight, here now for a day or two.

Side note: All pics posted in the thread for the time being will be just phone shots. There will be better quality pics and documentation after I get back home and have some time to put it all together*

#25 ·
Day 6 - September 11th, 2014 - Denver, CO

Was very chilly and overcast all day. Walked around Denver until we couldn't any longer and then we drove around Denver.

Checked out Red Rocks Park & Ampitheatre

Also met up with Chris (N.Y.X) and some of the NORAC guys. Had a great time. We were digging the brewery, and digging the food truck outside even more.

Was a good day to just kill time.

#26 ·
Day 7 - September 12th, 2014 - Colorado Springs, CO

Another extremely cold and cloudy day. Swung by and said hello to Hefty Fab, found a cool lunch spot, re-stocked up on some stuff, and caught up on some needed rest. Had planned to lightly hike Garden of the Gods but decided to wait until tomorrow morning as the weather looks more promising.

#27 ·
Day 8 - September 13th, 2014 - Colorado Springs, CO/Pagosa Springs, CO

Glad we waited because the weather was perfect. Couldn't ask for any better. Garden of the Gods was awesome as always.

This is my favorite seat in the house

Offering a perfect view of..

Made the drive to Pagosa Springs by nightfall. Went the long way, but what an awesome drive. Mountain views the entire way.

At the top of Wolf Creek Pass Summit

Getting some footage

Scenic Overlook

Pagosa is a cool little town it seems. The hot springs were phenomenal. Just what we needed in the midst of all the traveling and high activity. Tomorrow the real fun begins! Up to Silverton for some hiking and wheeling.

#31 · (Edited)
Day 9 - September 14th, 2014 - Pagosa Springs, CO/Silverton, CO

Woke up early and hopped in the hot springs again before heading up to Silverton. The plan for the day was was to hike Ice Lake and Island Lake, then take the X up Clear Lake Road to Clear Lake. The weather was in our favor and we got to do exactly that.

Pagosa Springs, CO

The hike was 8 miles round trip, but was well worth it. Easily one of the best hikes I've ever done.

I couldn't help but keep turning around and looking..

The trail just kept going up and up.

My girlfriend getting it done!

It felt like forever, but the peace and quiet up here once you were there was literally breathtaking.

ICE LAKE

The trail to Island Lake...goes up even more. We came this far, and knowing this lake was right up the hill there was no way we could turn around a go back down. I must say this was the most sketchy part of the entire hike. There was narrow, tilted sand ledges to walk across and steep sandy rock climbs. Glad we all got through it.

Close to the top

ISLAND LAKE

That hike is definitely something we all will remember forever. I'll more than likely attempt to make it back and do it again. Maybe camp out up there or something.

We finally got back to the truck and had about an hour of daylight left. Didn't know how long Clear Lake would take, but in another, "we came all the way out here" moment, we decided to head up the trail.

It was a shelf road trail with switchbacks, nothing too difficult but full attention was definitely required. One or two moderately difficult obstacles as well.

At the top

CLEAR LAKE

This was an awesome day. It was an extremely long one too. Daylight faded away as we were making our way back down the trail. All the lights including the light bar were necessary. Our original plan was to camp out, but had not eaten much and decided to head into Silverton to grab some food. From there we crashed at a motel down the street. Tomorrow hopefully we will check out the town during the daytime hours. Then on to Ouray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.