Trail Report: In-Ko-Pah and Elliot Mine - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Trail Report: In-Ko-Pah and Elliot Mine

Today I headed out with a few guys to the In-Ko-Pah mountain range along the U.S./Mexico border south of Anza Borrego. The Wells SoCal Guide lists the trail as difficult. There were some difficult sections for sure with loose sand and well worn ruts. I even had to use the locker a couple time although i'd like to think if I bothered to air down I wouldn't have needed it.

View north toward Anza Borrego/Salton Sea/Plaster City.

Black line is the border fence

I knew our border is porous, but come on really?

Difficult climb up toward elliot Mine.

Peak of Elliot Mine

Elliot Mine

Border Patrol agent who came to check us out. He was hiking in full gear with vest, machine gun, pistol, backpack. He decided to stay and keep an eye out from the peak. He said it's a well known smuggling gulch with traffic on a daily basis. We told him we hadn't seen anyone but he assured us the smugglers had seen us.

Couple more shots of the border from his vantage point.

Coming down the Elliot Mine trail

Angeles Del Desierto designation. A volunteer group that leaves food and water for migrants to prevent deaths in the hot desert.

A Coyote head shaped hole in a rock. Clever graffiti or smugglers symbol?

The last hour of the day we were being watched by this plane. It circled us until we got off the trail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Oz
Veteran
2007 Locked and Loaded Avalanche

Cool ! Was it hot ? Who all was there ?

Breaking News:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Noobie

Nice pictures. I was out there last weekend with only my wife, but we turned around right at the tough down hill part on the moderate section of the trail. The vehicle is still stock so I didn't want to do any damage, but I would have followed you guys at least until the start of the difficult section.

I didn't see some of the areas you have in your pictures. Are they closer to the border? We hiked from Smugglers Cave up to the top of Elliot Mine and back and didn't walk any of the other roads or check out the Valley of the Moon.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Cool ! Was it hot ? Who all was there ?
It wasn't too bad because the wind was really whipping through. Elevation there is about 4500 ft.

Some guys from Expo.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche - Echinsu Ocha Xterra X

Send a message via AIM to Blain
Nice pics. looks like a fun trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The taxes you pay may have paid my salary, but my friends paid for your freedom.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox_87 View Post
Nice pictures. I was out there last weekend with only my wife, but we turned around right at the tough down hill part on the moderate section of the trail. The vehicle is still stock so I didn't want to do any damage, but I would have followed you guys at least until the start of the difficult section.

I didn't see some of the areas you have in your pictures. Are they closer to the border? We hiked from Smugglers Cave up to the top of Elliot Mine and back and didn't walk any of the other roads or check out the Valley of the Moon.
Smugglers Cave is right there. On foot instead of going up to Elliot Mine if you walk around the point there you'd see the fence. You were probably 1/4 mile from the border. The rusted cattle fence is the border fence in that region.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Veteran

Nice pics. I had the opportunity to go on a behind the scenes border patrol tour with a buddy of mine once. I couldn't believe it. In most cases the Mexico barbed-wire fence was in better shape then ours....and the fence was only 3 feet tall if it was even still standing.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Tracks, Trails & Off-Road Parks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode