How-to: HF Cargo Rack : Linus Edition - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

How-to: HF Cargo Rack : Linus Edition

So I saw this thread and really liked the fit of the Harbor Freight Haul Master Cargo Carrier #66983. I'd seen other racks that were made for a Cherokee that came with legs but they weren't in the right place to tie down easily in the cargo slots. They were also about $200 more expensive than the HF carrier.

So I got one shipped to my door for $66.

I cut off the 2" square tubing that came with the rack so it is flush with the rack before I assembled it.

I sourced the 3/4" (19mm) square tubing for the cargo rack legs from the legs of an old office chair. The tubing fits perfectly in the slot of the cargo area.

I made the legs 23 1/2" long for the front end of the rack and 24 1/2" long for the hatch end of the rack because the cargo area slopes about 1". I attached them 35 3/4" on center to the rack with 2" long 1/4"-20 bolts. After using this setup I'd make the legs 1/2" longer, a 20# propane bottle just barely fits under the rack. I reused the plastic feet off the chair to cap the ends of the tubing, but they're beat up and a couple like to fall out. I ordered a set of these blanking caps to replace them, $4 for 10 pieces.

I welded 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron (an old bed frame) onto the legs 1 1/8" up from the bottom of the feet to the bottom of the angle iron. These could easily have been bolted on, but I wanted to try MIG welding them.

I made four tie down pieces out of the 3/4" square tubing. The tubing was cut 1 1/2" long. I used 1" long 1/4"-20 bolts.

The tie down is dropped into the slot in the cargo area and turned 90°. The bolt that sticks out of the tubing goes into the hole drilled in the angle iron.

I used the rack like this for a while. It's plenty strong, you can grab it and shake the Xterra back and forth with it.

I decided I wanted to rivet .050" thick 5052 aluminum sheet on the sides to keep stuff away from the storage compartment in the floor. Cross braces were added to support the top of the aluminum. The legs didn't need the brace for strength, but then it didn't hurt either.

The rack makes the best use of cargo area I could come up with. Tools and oddball stuff can be stored out of the way on the sides of the rack. It's the Linus Edition because I just keep soft stuff like blankets on top of the rack. I figure stuff I don't want smacked in the back of the head with can live captured under the rack.

Carpe lardum

Last edited by Longboardr; 01-16-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Nice work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 AM
Veteran
2011 Brick Red Xterra Pro-4X

That looks terrific - nicely done!

"Now, I don't know how you come down on the incarceration question - whether it's for rehabilitation or revenge - but I was beginning to think, revenge is the only argument makes any sense." - H.I. McDunnough

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Senior Member - AKA TK-421
2012 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
looks awesome man, same concept im using to make a drop in roof basket...still working on it tho.

Click Here For >
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Nice work man. I love the easy access to your storage compartment too and the little hook to hold the lid up. Good attention to detail. Now you should get some molle panels on the windows for protection and a Raingler pet net to serve as a bulk head to protect from flying cargo in case of rapid deceleration.
Longboardr likes this.

2012 Nissan Xterra S 4x4 Night Armor Metallic (K26)
Vehicle Modifications
WeatherTech Floor Liners, Wade In-channel RainGuards, AntennaX 13" Offroad Antenna, Deleted Factory Step-rails, Diode Dynamics Interior LEDs, General Grabber AT2 tires.

Last edited by Frink; 04-28-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra SE Off Road MiniBus

Garage
awesome!! & a no-weld rack too....right up my alley Just when I thought I was gonna be done with adding stuff to Rivet, you go & give me something else to add to the list

Pres, NC State Rep
(Nissan OffRoaders of the SouthEast)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM
West North Central Regional Moderator
2006 Solar Yellow - ew3 Xterra S

looking good! I was drooling over all the racks like this at Spring Fling. But I would need one that comes out easily. I use the back of my x a LOT to haul stuff

Click
to Ride the Short Bus - XBL: Tom Brunansky
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox764 View Post
i love how at the GPAX mod days our rigs (speaking about ROOK) were equal sliders, spacers aal, fangars light bars, pio dvd headunits, etc... now your truck has just launched into space and my truck is at a drive up bank trying to order a hotdog because he cannot read.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
looking good! I was drooling over all the racks like this at Spring Fling. But I would need one that comes out easily. I use the back of my x a LOT to haul stuff
I'd say I can get the rack in or out in about a minute, two at most. I originally tried using wing nuts to hold it down but I couldn't get it tight enough. If I'd used star knobs I think I could get it tight enough and it would be quicker.
Deltaphi216 and JOSX2 like this.

Carpe lardum
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 AM
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra X

Garage
awesome work! i'd be up for one of these if I didn't have the dog
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Awesome job! Very simple! Thanks for sharing.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode