How-to: Replace In-cabin Micro Filter - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

How-to: Replace In-cabin Micro Filter

I searched several forums for How to on this. One forum someone said, Man this is such a Bitch! I was like screw it, let the dealer do it. Then I saw Dealer wants $79 to remove and install. I got filters from YourNissanParts.com for CHEAP! (Like $25) and did it myself with B Slaters PM'ed instructions.... in 30 seconds or less. $ave yourself the cash, DIY, the dealers should be ashamed for charging so much.

There are two filters that come in one pack, they are split so that they can fit into small hole. MC

B Slater PM'ed,
Ok this I can explain, because it isn't too bad.
1. Open the lower glove box.
2. Squeeze the sides of the lower glovebox until the pins pop out of the guides and keep rotating the glove box down. (It took more force than I figured it would to push in the sides of the glovebox.)
3. Once the glovebox is rotated out of the way (Which you probably have noticed everything in the lower glovebox is now on the floor) you can see where the cabin air filters are.
4. The filters are located almost on top of the blower motor near the passenger front side.
5. You will see a screw that looks like it holds a cover on which needs to be removed (Mine didn't have the screw in there for some odd reason)
6. You push on the tab to the right of where the screw was and the access door should come off. Then you will see the 2 filters in there. 1 filter is hidden off to the right but there is 2 in there. Remove and install with Airflow arrows DOWN. (No matter how they were)
7. That is it.

Thanks to B Slater for these Instructions - Tested by MC Work great!
DaRKHoRSE likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 AM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

I had a bitch of a time getting the new filters in when I did it. The instructions that came with the new filter were right though.
post #3 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:46 PM

How often do you think these need to be changed? How bad were the old filters when you removed them?

2005 OR 4x4 Night Armor
post #4 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

I replaced mine at about 15,500 (they suggest 15k). Mine was really dirty. It probably has something to do with the wheeling, but I think I am going to at least look at mine every 10k or so and see if it should be replaced earlier.
post #5 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman
I replaced mine at about 15,500 (they suggest 15k). Mine was really dirty. It probably has something to do with the wheeling, but I think I am going to at least look at mine every 10k or so and see if it should be replaced earlier.
x2

Xterras freaking rule!
-05 OR (Sold)
-05 Ram 1500, LineX, 4.56 Gears, Detroit TrueTrac, Superchips, BFG AT's
-Looking for Xterra #3
post #6 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to offroadterra
I just did mine. Easy as pie. The directions said the Arrows face down.
Now I am confused???

Always Smile, It makes people wonder what you've been up to!!!
'05 Off Road, Shrock sliders and Bumper, Air Horns
post #7 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Maybe it is Down, They come both ways from factory, we did not have directions with ours, so, if you have Nissan directions, we should change that. Just let me know, Cause we have had em both ways. Not that it matters but we want to do it the way Nissansays to do it, not how they did it. A lot of us are also missing the screw that holds em in, not like you need it though.

MC

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC
post #8 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Veteran

I am about to install my filters. I will let you all know the direction of the filters. Wish it would stop raining.

Edit:
I just looked this up in the service manual. Here is the text.

"The in-cabin microfilters are marked with air flow arrows. The
end of the microfilter with the arrow should face the rear of the
vehicle. The arrows should point downward."

edit2: Like MC my filter had no screw, plus the arrows were facing up. Talk about quality control

-Keith
05 Brawn Red OR 6MT, Shrock Sliders and front Bumper, Black Panther Skid Plates
post #9 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Kokopop! I went ahead and corrected my directions. I knew there was a problem with them when I did it. Just never found the real answer. But, now we have it! Quality control for sure! Whoever does that sure don't pay attention. I wonder if that could be the "Whistle" noise some people complain about? (The filters being installed up side down?)
It don't really look like it matters. Oh well, we have it right and that's what does matter!

Never pay to have that one done! You needed to go through the crap in your glove box anyways!

MC

post #10 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to offroadterra
I have a better one for ya. My filter was there with a screw when I got the truck. I took it to Nissan for the 15,000 service. I had noticed some dust if you will coming out of the vents. I open my glovebox and wouldn't ya know. No screw, No filter. They must have taken it out to replace and forgot. I only noticed this about a week ago (14,000 miles later) Stealership strikes again..

Edit: The directions say what Keith quoted from the manual.

Always Smile, It makes people wonder what you've been up to!!!
'05 Off Road, Shrock sliders and Bumper, Air Horns

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode