Speed Bump Clunk Front Left Wheel - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Speed Bump Clunk Front Left Wheel

Okay, so I have spent many hours researching what my problem is exactly. I have no other choice after an exhausted effort, but to just ask a question that has already been discussed before. This time specific for my situation. Here goes;

When I go over a speed bump it is most noticeable, but it was also on a dirt road that were washboard type when it presents itself. The noise is a very significant clunk. It happens when the wheel comes down after the bump. Sounds metal on metal but not a sharp sound really... I just recently put in new billstein 5100 adjustables at a 2" lift. I kept the original coils and from what I could tell nothing else in the suspension has been replaced in it's 160,xxx miles . I also put on new wheels and tires but I don't feel that would have any affect. I drove for roughly 300 miles before the noise started. Help me please.

Last edited by curtism; 05-16-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra Off Road

Garage
If you have stock upper control arms, it is coil bucket contact due to the lift. When I put my 2" lit kit on for the first time I kept everything stock and I got the same "metal on metal" clunking. What happened is the lift causes the upper control arm to droop very close to where your coil mounts to the frame (coil bucket) and if you hit any sort of a bump, especially speed bumps, you get that clunking. I went and got myself aftermarket SPC Upper control arms and the clunking disappeared.

-Grant
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05XGrant View Post
If you have stock upper control arms, it is coil bucket contact due to the lift. When I put my 2" lit kit on for the first time I kept everything stock and I got the same "metal on metal" clunking. What happened is the lift causes the upper control arm to droop very close to where your coil mounts to the frame (coil bucket) and if you hit any sort of a bump, especially speed bumps, you get that clunking. I went and got myself aftermarket SPC Upper control arms and the clunking disappeared.
Is this the infamous CBC? I'm having a tough time visualizing how it works, any good pics anywhere?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM
2006 Super Black Xterra SE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtism View Post
Okay, so I have spent many hours researching what my problem is exactly. I have no other choice after an exhausted effort, but to just ask a question that has already been discussed before. This time specific for my situation. Here goes;

When I go over a speed bump it is most noticeable, but it was also on a dirt road that were washboard type when it presents itself. The noise is a very significant clunk. It happens when the wheel comes down after the bump. Sounds metal on metal but not a sharp sound really... I just recently put in new billstein 5100 adjustables at a 2" lift. I kept the original coils and from what I could tell nothing else in the suspension has been replaced in it's 160,xxx miles . I also put on new wheels and tires but I don't feel that would have any affect. I drove for roughly 300 miles before the noise started. Help me please.
Get aftermarket UCA's, or you can put a bumpstop on the OEM UCA to reduce (eliminate in my case) the noise and metal on metal contact.
These are the bumpstops I used IIRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
Is this the infamous CBC? I'm having a tough time visualizing how it works, any good pics anywhere?
This but minus the bumpstop.
(not my picture)
Xmod likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Frontier Nismo-4X

Guys, no CBC with just 5100s... That only happens with spacer lifts.

OP, one of two things is probably happening.

1) The strut is assembled incorrectly. The bushing stack at the top is missing the collar and the shock shaft is going through upper mount causing the noise. This happens quite often as users/ techs don't read the directions and discard this collar thinking the washer is all that is needed. This should be addressed ASAP as it is unsafe.

2) You are hearing the shock top out. Since you lifted the truck with equally increasing wheel travel you have much less droop travel and you are now hearing the shock run out of stroke and hit the internal top out bumper. This will not cause damage but is annoying.
Jyoung992 likes this.

2007 Frontier Nismo-4X KC Auto
It's got some stuff,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Speed Bump Clunk Front Left Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamisdude View Post
Guys, no CBC with just 5100s... That only happens with spacer lifts.

OP, one of two things is probably happening.

1) The strut is assembled incorrectly. The bushing stack at the top is missing the collar and the shock shaft is going through upper mount causing the noise. This happens quite often as users/ techs don't read the directions and discard this collar thinking the washer is all that is needed. This should be addressed ASAP as it is unsafe.

2) You are hearing the shock top out. Since you lifted the truck with equally increasing wheel travel you have much less droop travel and you are now hearing the shock run out of stroke and hit the internal top out bumper. This will not cause damage but is annoying.

This.

I don't get why everyone thinks 2" lift causes CBC no matter what. It doesn't. All depends on the length of coilover.
Glamisdude likes this.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and

Last edited by jsexton; 05-17-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Okay, Lots of info. Thank You! I like all of the advise but getting new UCA's might be overkill if I don't have to use that as the fix. I for sure like the bump stop idea based on ease of install and price. I don't wheel very difficult stuff, in fact mostly just simple off roads trails with maybe some moderate level of difficulty. Would putting these bump stops on be sufficient? I know that they are installed correctly, I double checked when I put them on and it is as the instructions described.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtism View Post
Okay, Lots of info. Thank You! I like all of the advise but getting new UCA's might be overkill if I don't have to use that as the fix. I for sure like the bump stop idea based on ease of install and price. I don't wheel very difficult stuff, in fact mostly just simple off roads trails with maybe some moderate level of difficulty. Would putting these bump stops on be sufficient? I know that they are installed correctly, I double checked when I put them on and it is as the instructions described.

The only post you should be reading in this is glamisdudes.

If you are getting clunking, you either have coilovers assembled wrong, or you are topping out your shocks. Nothing with the uca will fix either.

- J.J. Watt

and
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
The only post you should be reading in this is glamisdudes.

If you are getting clunking, you either have coilovers assembled wrong, or you are topping out your shocks. Nothing with the uca will fix either.
So being that they are installed correctly, anytime this 2" lift is done with these shocks, you get a big clunk when going over bumps...? Please tell me there's a fix.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Garage
Well, if that's what you are getting, dialing them back to 1" or 0.5" lift, adding a 1" or 1.5" top plate spacer, and aftermarket uca's would do it.

If you are getting CBC somehow (might be possible I suppose if your bushings are very very worn), you would see marks on the bottom of your uca and on top of the top hat.

- J.J. Watt

and

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode