OME or Radflo & Alcan? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

OME or Radflo & Alcan?

Ok...

So what I want is a couple inches of lift, and the best ride quality I can get for highway commute and rough logging roads, mild offroading, etc... I don't do any heavy off roading.

The answer would seemingly be OME.
However I'm not thrilled with all the posts about the Dakar leaves creaking and popping. I don't want to listen to that around town.

SOO... Now I'm looking at doing Radflo OE length COs, with Alcan 2" lift springs and 5100s in the back. Obviously this option is a bit more $$$, but if it is no doubt a superior ride and superior setup, I can swing it. However, if it is going to be minimal difference at best from the OME, I don't want to spend the extra coin.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

OK... I'm going to add one more option.

I can build a lift from Nisstec as follows, and it is $273 more shipped than the full OME kit. It SEEMS like it would be worth that?
-Mk84 front COs
-Steel axle shims
-Cam bolts
-Alcan 2" lift springs with U bolts
-Bilestein 2-2.5 5100 rear shocks
$1870 shipped

OME full kit is $1597 shipped?

I figure the Alcans are for sure an upgrade over OME Dakars... but I wonder how much better the Mk84s will ride/preform than the OME coil overs? If any at all?
AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra SE Off Road MiniBus

Garage
I'd go that route personally! Alcans are definitely leaps & bounds over OME. And if you tow/haul heavy stuff inside....the OMEs will hate ya. They good for lift...but not much for supporting heavy weight.

I just don't know if you'd need to get UCA's for the MK84s to avoid CBC....i'm sure someone would chime in on that though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pres, NC State Rep
(Nissan OffRoaders of the SouthEast)

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
I'd go that route personally! Alcans are definitely leaps & bounds over OME. And if you tow/haul heavy stuff inside....the OMEs will hate ya. They good for lift...but not much for supporting heavy weight.

I just don't know if you'd need to get UCA's for the MK84s to avoid CBC....i'm sure someone would chime in on that though
I think you do need UCAs... but I figure I don't have to do them right now?
There are very few times where I'm going to droop enough to contact.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X

Your second post sounds like a good plan. My only advice:

- Really figure how much extra weight you need in those Alcans. I think over-building is better. I got 350# extra and it wasn't nearly enough (I sagged 1.5" when loaded with 220lbs of camping gear) when combined with my aftermarket bumper & sliders.
- I'd order Alcans directly from Alcan themselves. It'll save you $50.
- You'll want UCAs sooner rather than later

Build Page -
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post

- Really figure how much extra weight you need in those Alcans. I think over-building is better. I got 350# extra and it wasn't nearly enough (I sagged 1.5" when loaded with 220lbs of camping gear) when combined with my aftermarket bumper & sliders.
Thanks for the tips.
Yea, the setup on the Alcans is one thing I'm torn on. I don't have hardly any extra weight in the rear right now, but there's a decent chance I'll do a rear bumper and tire carrier in the future. My gut says the 250-350lb option at 2" lift would be a good option? But hard to tell.
I commute unloaded every day, so I don't want a harsh ride unloaded on a rough highway.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra SE Off Road MiniBus

Garage
give alcan a call...they'll help steer ya in the right direction

Pres, NC State Rep
(Nissan OffRoaders of the SouthEast)
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Supporting Member
2013 Super Black ❌terra X w/Mods

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post

Everything he said, and...

I've got a similar setup to your MK84/Alcans. MK-84 are leaps and bounds better than stock. I'm about to do a T-swap w/ Radflos, so I'll have a set of SPC UCAs and MK-84s, less than 10k on them, for sale soon, like in two weeks, for $1000. I also have Alcans that I ordered before armoring up. The are 1.75" lift with 125#. If you have stock bumper and don't carry a lot of weight they are great. I'm about to order a new set for 2" lift and 400# to pick up on the way to goneMoab next month, so they will be available too, but a little later, like end of May. $600 and they are yours.

Let me know. You want to do what I've got and I'm about to remove it all for an upgrade after less that one year. Nothings wrong with the equipment, I just found I was able to mod quicker than expected. I had a 5 year build plan that turned into a year. Lucky me, maybe lucky you.

EDIT: p.s., I ordered my original suspension setup and then about a month later I got a steal-of-a-deal on Hefty all around, front rear and sliders for $1500. Couldn't pass it up, but know I've got weight I wasn't prepared for.....
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Last edited by ScurvyX; 04-19-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM
2007 Midnight Blue Xterra S 4x4

id highly recommend you plan to start up with UCAs as well. with that said, the mk84 route is the route i'd go if i were to do it again (except with extended travel). If you do a lift without ucas your alignment will be ruining tires well beyond the budget you're setting for yourself with this purchase

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
give alcan a call...they'll help steer ya in the right direction
Talked to Bill at Alcan.
He pretty much suggested a 400lb overload spring. He said it will ride fine on a factory weight p4x, just wont sag as much when you load it.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode