PRG Extensions vs Titan Tie Rods for T-Swap? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kidsixteen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
2009 Night Armor Xterra S 2WD 6MT

Garage
PRG Extensions vs Titan Tie Rods for T-Swap?

I've been searching trying to find an answer here and can't really come up with anything definitive.

Is there any advantage to running TRE's over the Titan OEM parts? OEM is slightly cheaper, but I'm ok with paying the extra money if there's a good reason to do so.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X

It saves you the hassle of removing the inner tie-rods from the truck. It is kind of a pain to remove the boot and inner-tie rod (you need a special tool which I had to rent at O'reilly and it still didn't fit perfectly).

So basically:
  • the TRE save you a few hours of time but at a slightly higher cost with a slightly weaker result.
  • OEM Tie rods are slightly cheaper and stronger but require 3-4 more hours of effort to install/rent tool

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
  • the TRE save you a few hours of time but at a slightly higher cost with a slightly weaker result.
  • OEM Tie rods are slightly cheaper and stronger but require 3-4 more hours of effort to install/rent tool
Wow 3-4 more hours is pretty significant.

Are both options equally good as far as maintaining alignment is concerned?

Click Here for >

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsixteen View Post
Wow 3-4 more hours is pretty significant.

Are both options equally good as far as maintaining alignment is concerned?
That was for me, but I am also a slow worker who had never worked with Tie-rods before. I also counted the time it took for me to drive to the autoparts store to rent the tool. It is probably closer to 1 hour to swap out the inners once you have the tool lol

Both should have very similar alignment adjustability. I just threw mine on haphazardly and the alignment techs didn't have to touch them.

Build Page -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@AlbatrossCafe thanks for the heads up man.. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons I guess haha.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Knight Armor Xterra Off Road

Id go with tire rod swap, just easier in my mind along with the fact its one less failure point with the steering, plus then you get a new set of tire rods for the swap too. After doing it once you'll be a pro, i can do a tire rod swap in like 30 min now.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran
2005 Canteen Green Xterra S

Do it right and just replace the tie rods with Titan ones. I just used a large crescent wrench to replace them. I always believe the more parts you have, the worse your odds are.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post
Id go with tire rod swap, just easier in my mind along with the fact its one less failure point with the steering, plus then you get a new set of tire rods for the swap too. After doing it once you'll be a pro, i can do a tire rod swap in like 30 min now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker49 View Post
Do it right and just replace the tie rods with Titan ones. I just used a large crescent wrench to replace them. I always believe the more parts you have, the worse your odds are.
Thanks guys.. just ordered the Titan tie rods. Seems like the right answer.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Click Here for >
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Noobie
2010 Xterra OR

Yea, a large crescent wrench and the tool to unhook the clip is all you need for the inners. They will be a pain the first time though.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode