SPC Arms Caster Help - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra PRO-4X

SPC Arms Caster Help

Ok, so I thought I could figure it out but for some reason I am having spatial comprehension issues in my head.

My caster is about 2.14 on both sides of my truck. I am trying to increase it to around 2.70 - 3.00.
I have the truck jacked up and the wheels off in the front. I can't figure out how to adjust the SPC arms to get more caster.

Here are the directions from SPC:

I am currently in Position B. I think Position "A" or even one tick past that would increase caster. Is this correct?

Also, will this also increase the wheelbase width by another half inch or so?

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

You do notice the position is for camber adjustment? From what I've heard on the titan SPC arms you slide front/rear to adjust caster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
You do notice the position is for camber adjustment? From what I've heard on the titan SPC arms you slide front/rear to adjust caster.
Yep, you are correct...... the ball joint was in the middle and I just slid it all the way to the front.

I noticed it was for camber but I thought it could also be utilized for caster somehow. Sometimes I amaze myself with my own stupidity

Build Page -

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran
2005 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

Garage
From the instruction sheet for Part NO. 25560 Nissan Titan/Armada Front Adjustable Control Arm pictured in post #1 [http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...60-INS_WEB.pdf]:

Quote:
Setting Alignment: Initially, set all four lower control arm cams to centered positions. From there, use lower eccentric cams to fine tune camber. Once desired camber is achieved, set caster by sliding the ball joint in its slot.
SPC Installation Video @ 4:25: "Adjust caster by sliding ball joint in slot on control arm."
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
'05 Xterra Off Road; '46 Bantam T3-C Offroad Trailer.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra Off Road

Here's an image:

http://www.steedablog.com/wp-content...r-diagram1.jpg

Take a look at the slot in the control arm - you need the steering upright/steering knuckle to be tilted toward the back of the vehicle. The ball joint is mounted in a slot that goes front to back - so you just need to slide the ball joint back. The trick is getting both sides the same. That's hard to do and will most likely require an alignment to get your cross caster back to 0. Do not rotate it to the other A/B/C positions - that will change the camber.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
You want to move the top of the spindle toward the rear of the vehicle.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran
2005 SE Offroad Short Bus

Garage
Curious....what does adjusting caster (towards rear as @jsexton suggested) do for handling?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

Pres, NC State Rep
(Nissan OffRoaders of the SouthEast)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
SPC Arms Caster Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
Curious....what does adjusting caster (towards rear as @jsexton suggested) do for handling?

Better return to center and less steering input needed. It basically tightens things up assuming there aren't other parts worn out.
JOSX2 likes this.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran
2005 SE Offroad Short Bus

Garage
Ahhh. Interesting. Thx!

Pres, NC State Rep
(Nissan OffRoaders of the SouthEast)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebuck View Post
Take a look at the slot in the control arm - you need the steering upright/steering knuckle to be tilted toward the back of the vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
You want to move the top of the spindle toward the rear of the vehicle.
That is what I thought I should do as well. However, this was my experience:

At full droop and with the wheel off, I loosened the SPC ball joint 32mm nut (or whatever it is) just enough so that it could be moved. I left the camber setting in the "B" position. As I moved the ball joint all the way to the back of the UCA, the hub actually moved backwards with it. So I tried moving it all the way forwards. The hub also moved forward.
I secured it as frontwards as possible on both sides.

I drove it on the highway at ~65mph and my loose steering problem was definitely remedied. It feels much tighter now with more return to center and less play at center. I can't verify that my caster is increased (didn't take any measurements) but it certainly drives MUCH better.

I also would expect the hub to pivot forward as the top of the spindle was moved backwards. But in my case moving the top of spindle forward also moved hub forward, so I'm not exactly sure what happened to caster. Hmm...

(Driver side) Before:

(Driver side) After:

(Passenger side) After:

Build Page -

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 03-20-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode