Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Outside Temperature Gauge Rant

58K views 145 replies 45 participants last post by  Terabot 
#1 ·
I notice an Outside Temperature gauge comes in some models of frontier but not in the Xterra. WHY NOT!!! I really want one.

#4 ·
In the frontier its apart of the rearview mirror, along with the compass. Which i dont understand why its not in the Xterra... That link is awesome! Too bad im mechanically impaired and wiring is crazy talk to me haha. I cant wire anything and am afraid to take apart my dash because of fear of not being able to put it back together...

#6 ·
I never realized the Frontier was available with the temp gauge in the mirror. Does it have Homelink too?

I've been looking for a mirror with temp, compass, and the amber display, but without Homelink. They're rare. Wiring between the Xterra and Frontier should be similar as well.

Posted via Tapatalk

#14 ·
My 2008 OR did not even offer it. I've tried the (& am still mired in the) Cyberdyne mod. I ordered a gauge & temp sensor from JC Whitney. The Cyberdyne LED's burn out rather quickly, rendering this somewhat expensive mod useless. (@$45.00 for the gage & $20.00 for the sensor) I had an "Ice Blue" gage that burned out in a month & a "red" one that's now burned out in about a year & a half (lifetime warranty thru Cyberdyne, or so they claim), I'm still waiting to hear if Cyberdyne is going to stand by their "lifetime warranty"...

#15 ·
Absolutely NO Xterra comes with a thermometer from the factory. They have Gentex Mirrors you can replace the OEM one with that has a thermometer on it but, again, they don't come stock.

Your only options are get the Gentex mirror w/ temp, do what I did (see post #3), or think up of something different/unique.

#24 ·
I installed the Nissan auto-dimming mirror with compass within months of taking delivery of my 06 OR. It went dead about 2 years later (compass still works though). Get the Gentex, the one I put in my car was easier to install and works great....

John B

#29 ·
The OEM mirror should have an amber display. Gentex only sells the mirror with the blue/green display to the general public.

If the Gentex mirror is $280 and the OEM mirror is $350 (throwing numbers out there), then the extra $70 is worth it to me to have a matching amber display. On the other hand, if the OEM mirror is $450, that's probably not worth it.

Posted via Tapatalk

#32 ·
I have the Gentex..as my 2007 OR did not come with the mirror temp and compass.. the gentx is awesome and a stereo installer friend of mine did it in 5 minutes.. and I do believe I can toggle beteen blue/greena and orange colour display..but I prefder the blue green..
My 2002 SC has the temp and compasss feature..standard on ALL canadian models I believe but on 1 gen. models, this feature is NOT on the mirror as someone stated..they are on an overhead display..kind of wear the sunglass hideaway is on the 2nd Gen.

#39 · (Edited)
Spent over an hour on Autotrader before I found a Frontier LE for sale that actually took a picture of the damn mirror. It's blue/green on the 2010. :(

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=538&standard=false

I did however discover the Frontier was available with heated leather, VDC, hill decent, and a locking diff, meaning there is a 5 position switch holder under the radio available for the 09+ dash. It appears to be available in the same color too! :drink:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...25&cardist=876&standard=false&captcha=success

#40 ·
I did however discover the Frontier was available with heated leather, VDC, hill decent, and a locking diff, meaning there is a 5 position switch holder under the radio available for the 09+ dash. It appears to be available in the same color too! :drink:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...25&cardist=876&standard=false&captcha=success
That's a nice find right there! 09+ guys will be happy to see that.

As for the mirror..I've already posted solutions to getting the Gentex mirror w/ comp and temp COLOR MATCHED for hundreds less than the dealership.....It should really be a non-issue by now.

#44 ·
Long story short, the 2011 Pro-4x we purchased came with a temp/compass mirror. After battling with Nissan to find out why the temp display portion was only displaying 0C & not the actual temperature, they've finally said that it was mistakenly installed. Fine. I thought it would be easy to track down the temperature sensor & wiring (plus connector), but I am running into walls left and right. The mirror I have is the Gentex 455, which has a 7 pin connection on the back, 2 of which are being used. Would anyone know where I can find just the wiring harness/connector/temp sensor? I can find a bazillion mirrors that all include the wiring, but just not the wiring alone. I'd rather not have to buy the entire mirror w/wiring if I already have a brand new mirror installed from the factory.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.