Door Locks Gone WILD!!!!! - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2007 Xterra SE

Door Locks Gone WILD!!!!!

Late yesterday, I had the Xterra loaded up ready to head up north for work. I started it up, closed door and went in house for a minute. I come out, and its running, with doors locked going nuts! They were going from locked to unlock wildly!!!!!!! I couldn't get in and had to call a tow truck to unlock it! Go figure my spare key was in my book bag inside!!!!

I ended up parking it, disconnecting battery and taking my truck to work. SO from what I have read, it seems the door lock relay or actuator is the issue?!

Does this sound correct? Anyone have this issue before???

Thanks for any help!

DT Long Tubes, Full Exhaust with Magnaflow Cats & 12580 Muffler, IMS, SuperChips with 2* timing advance & 91 Octane Tune, Volant 12740, PRG Spacers & Shackles, Hellwig Helper Springs, PRG Poly Motor Mounts, 285 Duratracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Check for any aftermarket alarm equipment.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I'd suspect water got somewhere it shouldn't and is causing a switch to misfire.

I remember reading about someone having problems with water leaking into the hatch and causing problems. I'd start there and disconnect the wire going to the key lock, then move to the doors if that wasn't the problem.

I'd pull the fuse for the electric locks in the meantime to make the X usable. I'd also get a key cut without a chip that you can hide on the outside of the vehicle that will get you in the door but not start the X.

Good luck!

Carpe lardum

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2007 Xterra SE

I can rule out aftermarket equipment, as I've owned it since new.

I did read on the net, something about water. 2hrs before this happened when I was parking X I after I shut it off, a weird loud noise was coming from under the centre dash. Its never made this noise before and I found that odd.

I looked quickly for the door lock fuse, but it wasn't labeled under the dash. Anyone know where to look for that particular fuse????? Oh how I hate electrical issues!! lol

DT Long Tubes, Full Exhaust with Magnaflow Cats & 12580 Muffler, IMS, SuperChips with 2* timing advance & 91 Octane Tune, Volant 12740, PRG Spacers & Shackles, Hellwig Helper Springs, PRG Poly Motor Mounts, 285 Duratracs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

A quick search online says I was probably talking out of my butt about a door lock fuse. I'd had problem in an older vehicle with the lock occasionally locking itself so I pulled the fuse. I didn't see a door lock fuse in a quick search in the fuse box under the hood or the fuse box by the glove compartment.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran
2010 OR

Still don't rule out aftermarket electronics added. Even if you bought it new dealers are well known to install aftermarket alarms on everything in the new car lot. Often driven by the insurance company for the dealership giving a price break if they do this to everything in the lot. If you elect to not buy the overpriced upgraded alarm package they "deactivate" it and just leave it in the car. Cheaper to abandon the cheap POS than to pay a tech to pull it out. The electronics are not very robust and act up a few years later.

Was I the only one who was sobor and paying attention in college?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 AM

I had an '00 Chrysler 300M that did this for a bit. Turned out the negative cable from the battery to the chassis was badly corroded from the inside out, so it wasn't obvious. Got the cable off and it literally snapped in half and there was only about 10% of the original copper wire left. After I replaced that the door lock problem went away. Somehow the bad ground was causing the door locks to keep locking (mine didn't unlock, only lock).

Probably doesn't apply, but it's something that's fairly easy to check out.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode