Winch Wiring Help - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Winch Wiring Help

I am trying to finish up my cradled winch wiring and I am trying to figure out how I should fuse my wires that run to my front hitch and my rear hitch. I am worried if a wire gets nicked or something that I will short something and blow my battery and hurt myself or someone else possibly. The winch is a Smittybilt XRC 9500. I will have a switch at the battery so the cables aren't live 24/7, but I really want a fuse if its possible as an interrupter/safety precaution. Right now I just have a cable going from my battery to a quick connect at my front hitch and I want to make this all legitimate and safe for myself and others. Thanks for the help guys. Hoping to try to get this all done after work this week. Thank again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Noobie

There are fuses about the size of small tootsie roll with 2 thread posts that you attach your wires to. Not elegant as they hang out there with your wires. But what I use for my trailer wiring coming off the battery post.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro-4X

Nick you need a switch to keep it off when not in use a fuse would blow. Just keep the switch close to the battery post.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffner4 View Post
Nick you need a switch to keep it off when not in use a fuse would blow. Just keep the switch close to the battery post.
Scott I will have to show you this weekend, but I am planning on mounting the switch the the fuse panel cover thats behind the battery. It would be maybe 12 inches away? I was trying to find a good place for it to mount that wouldn't leave it just bouncing around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
This is what you want for front and rear winch wiring. Put this switch as close to the battery as reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K...5EL&ref=plSrch

It's a little pricy on amazon right now. Usually around $35 shipped.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Truth Dropper
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

That's not going to work for winches.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Truth Dropper
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
This is what you want for front and rear winch wiring. Put this switch as close to the battery as reasonable.

Yup...

DaveN likes this.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
Quote:

Yup...

That's funny, I am running that exact switch in my boat right now and I'm 99% sure I have a spare in my boat parts box! Win! But, does that mean I do not need to have it fused also even with me having a switch? I know I sound overkill probably but just want to make sure it's safe is all lol. Thanks for the help guys.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
It's as safe as reasonable. Just leave it in the off position.

It's not going to be easy to fuse 400-500 A DC. Even if you do, it's likely going to strand you when you need it most.
FisherNick likes this.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode