Improving Lighting - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Improving Lighting

Hey all,

I want to improve the lighting situation for that inevitable night driving.

Eventually I'm going to add a lightbar or roof lights, but is there anything I can do with the headlights? I know there are conversion kits but I tried this route before and wasn't really happy with the results (my fault). Are there easy headlights updates?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Garage
A 20" light bar in the "mouth" is going to be the most cost effective solution in my book.

I bougot advance auto's most expensive headlight bulbs that weren't the ricer xenon ones and was not impressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 292
My wallet is clean and my friends and family beg me to stop drilling holes in my poor X, but some holes just have to be drilled.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Cool thanks for the link. Are there any issues with the rad airflow with the lightbar there?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
Cool thanks for the link. Are there any issues with the rad airflow with the lightbar there?
No problem at all. Now I haven't done any rock crawling in death valley, but in my experience the radiator can handle it with ease

My wallet is clean and my friends and family beg me to stop drilling holes in my poor X, but some holes just have to be drilled.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:17 PM
2013 Super Black Xterra X wMods

Garage
I just switched over the Sylvania zXe headlight and fog light bulbs. Like night and day (pun intended) over stock whatevers. I can now see at night.

I would have liked to get HID projectors upgrade, but my money's going to a front/rear axle & T-swap.

I have a 20" light bar (ebay) on front bumper. Works great, no glare, had for a year and has made it through a PNW winter with no signs of moisture. Great $50 spend. Makes the $800 that a new Rigid would cost available for a new M205....

If you go with the zXe's, you'll notice a big difference (at a reasonable cost.)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyX View Post
I just switched over the Sylvania zXe headlight and fog light bulbs. Like night and day (pun intended) over stock whatevers. I can now see at night.

I would have liked to get HID projectors upgrade, but my money's going to a front/rear axle & T-swap.

I have a 20" light bar (ebay) on front bumper. Works great, no glare, had for a year and has made it through a PNW winter with no signs of moisture. Great $50 spend. Makes the $800 that a new Rigid would cost available for a new M205....

If you go with the zXe's, you'll notice a big difference (at a reasonable cost.)
Cool, looks like a small lightbar is the way to go. X looks great.

I've seen the aftermarket bulbs, but I dont understand how they work. Isn't the power pulled through the same as the stock bulbs? Then how are they brighter? Or is it that the tint is different so they appear brighter without necessierly being so?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
A lightbar is nice and inexpensive but in a lot of states is illegal for on-road driving. If you stick with halogen bulbs then the Phillips XtremeVision are quite good and what I use. HID's are the superior product but please do not place HID's in halogen projectors as light goes everywhere and is blinding. If you want HID's get HID projector headlights either from Nisstec or HIDProjectors.com

You can get a number of cheap lightbars if you want offroad use I recommend the Arsenal Pro series.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 PM
2013 Super Black Xterra X wMods

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
Cool, looks like a small lightbar is the way to go. X looks great.

I've seen the aftermarket bulbs, but I dont understand how they work. Isn't the power pulled through the same as the stock bulbs? Then how are they brighter? Or is it that the tint is different so they appear brighter without necessierly being so?
Thanks. For some reason, without a T-swap, it makes me think of skinny-jeans..... I'm 'bout to fix that.

As for the bulbs, I don't know how they work or what's different about them, but they are noticeably brighter. I was often complaining I couldn't see and unsure if my headlights were on, now, I often, like every time I drive at night, I find myself noticing I've got lights and smiling. The light is a whiter light than the yellow-ish-ness of the stock bulbs.

I don't drive on-road with the light bar.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Garage
I use my light bar on the road but only when its very dark and there is very little traffic. I commute an hour and work second shift so this is more often than most people.

I believe my light bar is legal to use on road according to Pa lighting codes.

Quote:
(l) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a passenger vehicle or light truck if the lamps comply with the following:

(1) Auxiliary driving lamps may not be substituted for headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.

(2) Fog lamps may not be substituted for headlamps.

(3) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on the front, spaced at least 20 inches apart from center to center and at height not more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands nor lower than the lowest chassis part. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.

(4) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when the vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with the beam not above horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.

(5) A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have only one pair of approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.

(6) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may not be placed in front of a required lamp.

(7) Auxiliary driving lamps may not be used on snowplows as a substitute for headlamps obscured by blade. A substitute for headlamps used on the vehicle shall be complete, approved headlamps having both high and low beams.

(8) Snowplow lamps shall be installed as follows: DELETED

(9) In accordance with 75 Pa.C.S. § 4303(f) (relating to general lighting requirements), roof or roll bar mounted off-road lights may be installed if they are not used on a highway or trafficway and are covered with an opaque covering at all times while operating on the highway or trafficway. Vehicles equipped with roof or roll bar mounted off-road lights shall have a switch that indicates to the driver, through the use of a pilot light, that the lights are on when so switched.

(10) White or clear cargo lamps are permitted if available as original equipment or installed in a manner which expressly illuminates the cargo area of a multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck or bus.

(11) Guidance laser systems used during highway maintenance operations, such as line painting and snow plowing, are authorized if they comply with 21 CFR 1040.10 (relating to laser products) for Class IIIa laser products and Occupational Health and Safety Administration Standard 1926.54 and are installed and operated in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements. Guidance laser systems may not emit red or blue light visible to other motorists.
The only thing I don't 100% comply with is section (3) that says they have to be at least 20" apart. And I think I can get away with excluding my light bar from (11) because it isn't roof or roll bar mounted.

Sure it's debateable, but so is 9/11.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
I use my light bar on the road but only when its very dark and there is very little traffic. I commute an hour and work second shift so this is more often than most people.

I believe my light bar is legal to use on road according to Pa lighting codes.

The only thing I don't 100% comply with is section (3) that says they have to be at least 20" apart. And I think I can get away with excluding my light bar from (11) because it isn't roof or roll bar mounted.

Sure it's debateable, but so is 9/11.
Reason I say check state law. It's illegal in my state of VA to have a lightbar on while on the main roads and they even go one step further and state all offroad lights must be covered while on road....My neighboring state of KY is similar.

HID's are also illegal here unless they come from the manufacturer installed which is another bs law.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode