Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

IM1RU and maXTERRA's Trip to Ouray

11K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  BillySpivitz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there NORAC brothers,

My wife and I have a week to spend, August 27th through September 3rd 2016, and we'd like to come visit your beautiful state.

We'll be pulling this:

I'd be most grateful for some help in deciding were to go, what to do, and where to camp.

Also curious if I'd need to find a base camp or if I could pull this thing around.

But best of all would be some company and Wheelin' buddies!

Thanks much:eek:ccasion5:

See less See more
#2 ·
For most everything you could pull that thing along. If you're pulling it, don't do Poughkeepsie Gulch. Mineral Creek might be a bit of a chore with it as well. Most everything else you would likely be okay. One thought though, there are some (actually many!) narrow trails where you may have to back up to let someone else go by if right-of-way must be yielded. (I'm thinking specifically of the "uphill traffic has the right of way" principle.) Backing up on a narrow trail in that circumstance might be a challenge.

And the weather in that time frame...hit or miss... but a snow storm could close most everything...especially the stuff over 10K feet in elevation...

Here's hoping for good weather and no trail traffic while you're there. :eek:ccasion5:

#8 ·
One thought though, there are some (actually many!) narrow trails where you may have to back up to let someone else go by if right-of-way must be yielded. (I'm thinking specifically of the "uphill traffic has the right of way" principle.) Backing up on a narrow trail in that circumstance might be a challenge.
Of course there's always the off chance that you will meet the novice driver who doesn't observe (or even know about) the uphill traffic principle. I've experienced that MANY times in that area - although the tourist load should be way down in October.

#4 ·
If you're interested in staying in town, the Amphitheater campground is a nice place to camp. I think it's all walk-in this time of year. Go down to the hot springs pool once or twice for showers and a good hot soak. I believe 550 just south of Ouray is still closed Mon-Fri from 8-5 with a brief opening from 12-1. You could camp down in the Ironton Park area so you'd be south of the construction and still have access to most of the trails. For Imogene head back into Ouray before 8, or go on the weekend, or take the longer loop across Ophir and then Imogene back into Ouray, have dinner in town and the road should be back open by then. Also as of 2 weeks ago Porphyry is closed just past the connecting trail over to Black Bear.

#6 ·
Awesome input guys thanks!

Anyone else care to chime in? I'll look into the town "camping" thing. Shower access is a nice thing. Even though I can do that with the trailer.

I'll give more review on the other thread about the trailer.

#9 ·
If you are okay roughing it - you could try CR16, just south of town, same turn off as Amphitheater Campground. There are a number of smaller spots right on the trail as you head up, and then a larger open area that has quite a few areas suitable for a base camp. Shouldn't be any problem getting the trailer up there - passed quite a few campers that made it up to the open area.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1843465&postcount=106

#10 · (Edited)
^^^-good option with your trailer.
Also, a little ways up the Camp Bird road are the Angel Creek and Thistledown campgrounds. No water, but they have fire pits, vault toilets, and trash bins. Some of the sites are smaller and sized for tents, but we've fit our pop-up into several of the spots with no problem. Not sure if they're closed or not. Since the 4J is open until the 15th, makes sense to stay there until they close then find another spot for just the last couple of days.

#12 ·
Can always keep an eye on the Bushducks site ... http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm ... usually more about tracking opening dates, than closing dates, unfortunately. However, they put the phone number of the responsible ranger station (at least for the biggest ones), so you could try calling the local office and get their read. I have t looked, but you may be able to get a feel for typical date ranges, if you scan back through past years ... I don't know if they track closing, though, like I mentioned.

I think we're supposed to get the first high country snow accumulations of any consequence this weekend - but likely not more than 6"; so you're right on the weather edge, it's looking like.

#14 ·
Have you had yours out?
::ducks:: ... uh ... wait, what? :geek:

::cough:: ... no, not yet ... ::cough, ahem:: ... who said that? :withstupid:

Much to the chagrin of some local friends (to say nothing of my own) ... the vagaries of life with little people have contrived to keep it from reaching the top of the priority list.

I'm hearing some rumblings amongst another group, about a Yellowstone trip next year ... timing that far out due to reservations and scheduling and all that, hopefully that won't be the first, but we shall see.

Maybe Moab for GONE? The UT desert is also pretty nice come April ...

#15 ·
I'm already planning on GONE 2016. I also have time in March and April. My job schedule is set in stone from year to year, but I only work about 36 weeks a year, so I have ample time play. It does make budgeting a pain though.

I kind of wish the VMI boys would find a less crowded spot than Yellowstone but it would still be cool. We went this year on a whim, it's just insane. From idiots with large rented RV's that have no idea how to drive to bus after bus after bus full of (insert favorite foreign group here) wandering off the path to take a picture with a (insert geyser or wildlife name) its kind of hard to enjoy.

#16 ·
Ok, for real this time. Thought I'd just update this thread instead of start a new one.

@Golf286
@Slasa E @skibum315

And anyone else who might be interested.

We have the week before Labor Day as updated in the original post. Bringing the trailer, we wanna camp. We want to do as many trails as possible. Looking for good central location to park the trailer, and hopefully meet up with as many of you as can make it for a day or two or more. Obviously trail recommendations, and camping spots suggestions are still welcome.

So, who's up for trail or 2, a beer, dinner, whatever? I'm also going to see if anyone from here (Utah) would like to go along.

First question, is Ouray the most central local... and the amphitheater campground?

#17 ·
Ouray is most central to the bulk of the better trails in the area. Plus it's absolutely beautiful, especially that time of year. Make that area the base of your operations. Stay close enough to town that you can head to the hot springs for a soak at the end of a day on the trails, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy!

#19 ·
So the plan is beginning to roll. I've booked a site at the Amphitheater Campground all week, (because it's way easy to cancel some days if you're not gonna use 'em). Bill and I have talked, and will keep up the planning, but I really am coming this time.

I've posted locally (Utah groups) to see if anyone wants in. So far one has posted interest, but not any kind of commitment.

#20 ·
Working on it, fingers crossed. Staying in ouray would be a good choice for us. Will have to scope out some hotels and rates.

Sounded like Dallon may be interested too.
Hope for sure some of our CO brethren will join and guide us??
Dave

#25 ·
Two weeks to go....
Both maXTERRA (Dave) and I will be heading your way on Saturday the 27th and staying for the week, leaving on the 2nd.

I know you've all been down there this year already, but the invite is still open.

#26 ·
We're leaving in the morning at 9:00 am.

Pm us your phone number if you are gonna be in the area.

Wish this could be a bigger group but that's the way she goes sometimes.

Rain, rain, and more rain, still totally excited to go.

#28 · (Edited)
@Sanders - Just returned home last night. What an awesome trip! Thanks to Golf286 for all the advice and guidance. The weather was rainy for the first two days, Black Bear was closed until Wednesday. We were the first ones over after it opened. It was slick, all I have to say is this trail demands respect, and don't do it alone. After the first couple days of rain there was snow up high, but it melted away. It rained again all night Thursday and Friday morning when we left. I can only imagine the trails were a mess Friday.

Enjoy your trip! What a beautiful place!

A note to all you NORAC folks:
Your trails are beautiful! Clean, I can't believe how little trash we found and hauled out. Everyone was very courteous, hand signals were the norm, etiquette was too. You guys are doing it right! :eek:ccasion5: Wish the trails in Utah could be like that. Thank you for all you guys do to keep the trails open!

Report:

We saw some really bad driving from rental Jeep drivers:surprise:, and lots under equipped rigs:tard: Can't believe how many folks from Texas were there. Many really nice rigs too.

Rescued a Jeep. Poor guy slid (drove actually) off the trail on Engineer in the lower rocky section...watched it happen, dude was shaking like a leaf in a storm. Boy was he lucky Dave and I were right behind him, and that it happened where it did.:help: He wanted to try and drive it out..... We stopped him from that epic mistake, got he and his passenger out. Used Daves winch via snatch block and tree on the rear and a strap (me) on front end of the vehicle to get him back up on the trail. The Amish family in a rental Jeep were actually a very big help in getting things set up for the pull.
Another few inches and that would have been a rollover.

Dave got us both "Ouray Mountain Rescue" hats to commemorate it.:laughing3:

Trails Accomplished by day:
Sunday: Yankee Boy, Governors, Mineral Creek, had to turn around on Poughkeepsie due to that hella storm that actually closed 550, so, back down Mineral Creek. Had a rock fall break my windshield on 550 coming back into town .....scary storm.
Monday: Up Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Ross Basin, and went out via Silverton and did the museum there (very cool BTW).
Tuesday: Imogene to Ophir
Wednesday: Black Bear, Imogene
Thursday: Mineral Creek, Engineer, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew

Can't wait to go again!

@maXTERRA - Hoping you'll add to this:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.