Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

IM1RU and maXTERRA's Trip to Ouray

11K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  BillySpivitz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there NORAC brothers,

My wife and I have a week to spend, August 27th through September 3rd 2016, and we'd like to come visit your beautiful state.

We'll be pulling this:

I'd be most grateful for some help in deciding were to go, what to do, and where to camp.

Also curious if I'd need to find a base camp or if I could pull this thing around.

But best of all would be some company and Wheelin' buddies!

Thanks much:eek:ccasion5:

See less See more
#30 ·
What Rob said! Epic trip, scenery, great wheeling, scenery, more beautiful scenery, mines, ghost towns, scenery. Definitely one of my major bucket list items crossed off[emoji106]!

Such a great time and experience. Ouray was great. Good food and drink!

This will be an annual event for sure. Missing it so bad already.

Tons of pics and videos to go thru yet, but I've got to get busy back in the shop too. Do some cleaning, maintenance and service the rig too. Drove it hard, but it did awesome!

Thanks so much to Rob and Bill for the great organization and planning. Nice to just follow along and be the "tourist"[emoji41][emoji592]

#32 ·
A few pics.... cause it happened :wink:

Yankee Boy

Governors

Corkscrew

Hurricane

California

Ross Basin

Imogene

Ophir

Black Bear

Engineer

Cinnamon

I don't have any shots of the Jeep rescue cause I was a bit busy, and since my wife was actually rolled in a situation very similar to this, she walked away and didn't want to watch, let alone take photo's.... can't blame her for that.

#39 ·
Looks like it was a great time. I really wish we could have made it down there to share the week with you but as life goes, most of us have limited time off and limited funds to do it with. It looks like you hit all the right spots and had a fun time.
That area is so nice and clean! I wish NORAC could claim some responsibility for that, but there are other organizations that are doing it and deserve all praise for it. We would if we could, but Ouray is 5 - 6 hours away from most of us so...
We do have 3 adopted trails closer to our area, Bunce School Road area, Caribou, and Kingston Peak (north side) so we are trying to do our part in our area.

#51 ·
Beautiful pictures, and it looks like you had a great time. Ouray is only about a 90 minute drive for me and I've always wanted to run these trails but couldn't get my old Jeep that far. Just bought the X last month but I don't think I could run these stock. I'll be using your pictures to convince my wife we need to make some 'crucial upgrades' to the X before a Ouray trip.

Here's hoping we can join you next time! I've got a buddy with a Frontier who would probably be down as well.

#55 ·
Definitely air down tires, both for ride improvement and so you don't puncture a tire on the sharp rocks.

Also, as we saw on that trip, make sure your spare is good and aired up, and test the lift mechanism to see if it works!
Came across a trailblazer on one of the trails with a flat highway tread tire, and the lift mechanism was rusted up.
A jeep had to take him and flat tire down to town and back up again after getting repaired.

Thanks for the comments on the pics.
I had a great time shooting all that incredible scenery. Just spectacular up there!!![emoji991][emoji106][emoji592][emoji41]

#56 ·
Driving from MI to Denver first week of August, I was wondering If there are any other trail networks similar to this, closer to Denver. It's already a 16 hour drive I'd rather not have to drive another 7 hours just to get the the trail. I've been looking online and from what I can find most of the best trails are in the Ouray/ Telluride area. I found info on Central City/Saint Mary's trail not too far from Denver but the area doesn't look as beautiful as Ouray. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#57 · (Edited)
#58 · (Edited)
The guidebook IM1RU linked will be for the trails north of I-70; I haven't been to all of the areas, but check out Areas 2, 3, and 4 for some great scenic and fun trails.

Also check out this one for the ones south of I-70 (includes the Ouray trails): https://funtreks.com/product/guide-colorado-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-3rd-edition/. Area 5 has some fantastic scenic trails such as Red Cone, North Twin Cone, Deer Creek/Saints John, North & Middle Fork Swan River. Some of these (Red Cone/North Twin Cone) are difficult trails, and you should go in a group.

Red Cone:

Deer Creek/Saints John:

North/Middle Fork:

Bill Moore Lake:

And many more. Check out photos from Norac's past runs: NORAC Outings and Trail Runs

Join and post up on our public Facebook page as well and ask this question - you'll get a lot of suggestions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/norac/

We have a 4-day members only trip the first week of August - but I'm sure there will be a number of people not able to go that would love to hit a trail or two with you.

*Edit* Reduced # of images I had linked - didn't want to clutter someone else's photo thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.