Synthetic Oil - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
2014 Xterra S

Synthetic Oil

I was looking through my owner's manual and noticed that it recommends "mineral based" oil only. Mineral based oil is conventional/petroleum oil only but does any one use synthetic oil? I used royal purple in my last car (Nissan Sentra SE-R) and want to use it in my X but don't know if it'll cause any engine damage. Also any reason why Nissan does not recommend synthetic oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

I use Mobil 1 synthetic, and as I'm on warranty, my dealer does the changes.

Mobil has the following warranty statement:
What We Will Do to Correct Problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

Might be a bit of a circular argument
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran
2015 Black Audi Quattro A3 2.0T

I run Castrol Edge and I've never had any issues. I ran it in my '09 Frontier also.

They also recommend absurdly long oil change intervals on conventional oil in the manual, but I don't pay any attention to any of it. I run synthetic at 5k mile intervals and call it a day.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL XTERRA View Post
I run Castrol Edge and I've never had any issues. I ran it in my '09 Frontier also.

They also recommend absurdly long oil change intervals on conventional oil in the manual, but I don't pay any attention to any of it. I run synthetic at 5k mile intervals and call it a day.
Edge is good. I'm gonna start running that here soon. I just wish I could still afford AMSoil like I had in my Titan...

(There should be a :broke: smilie) lol

JaX of all trades, Master of none...
---------------------------------------------
Click Here for > "MY" StormTrooper...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran

A friend of mine who is an oil nerd turned me onto it. It seems like the best bang for the buck out there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
2014 Xterra S

Good info to know, I noticed on the Pennzoil website they recommend their ULTRA formula for the X. However I'm still partial to royal purple. Was running Valvoline conventional with STP oil treatment but I've read several articles about oil additives that have changed my mind.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran
2012 Pro-4X M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnuxoll View Post
I was looking through my owner's manual and noticed that it recommends "mineral based" oil only. Mineral based oil is conventional/petroleum oil only but does any one use synthetic oil? I used royal purple in my last car (Nissan Sentra SE-R) and want to use it in my X but don't know if it'll cause any engine damage. Also any reason why Nissan does not recommend synthetic oil?
This is not coded language telling you not to use synthetic motor oil. You will be 100% fine using synthetic. If synthetic motor oil hurt your VQ40, then half the users of this forum would be screwed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL XTERRA View Post

Send me your used oil, I think I can reuse it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

I've run mobil1 mostly mobile 1 since the first oil change. After 202k miles of 10k mile oil change intervals, I am happy to report that I am on the original timing chain and she's only down about a half qt at the oil change mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveStick View Post
Send me your used oil, I think I can reuse it.
You probably could put another 5k on it, but i'm not going to ship it to VA.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode