Intermittent Ringing/Whining Noise - What is it?
[Editing to refine the description of symptoms]
This issue is continuing, so I wanted to refine the description of symptoms, in case it helps root out the cause.....
- Sound is more like a whistling than a ringing, but the pitch is similar to the ear ringing you'd have the day after a loud rock concert.
- Sound does not change in pitch if I give it more or less gas.
- Overall, the issue is intermittent. But it is consistent under some conditions: Sound only happens after the car has been warmed up, and only after a bit of stop-and-go street driving (not after freeway driving).
- When it does occur, application of the brakes makes it stop. Previously, letting off the gas pedal would also make it stop, but now only application of the brakes stops it.
- When it does occur, every now and then the sound persists after the car is completely shut off, from a few seconds to as long as 30+ seconds.
See below for further description.
--------(original post follows)----------
This is a weird one... didn't have any luck searching the forum for anything similar, so here goes.
Vehicle: 2005 Xterra SE 2WD, approx. 68K miles.
History: I recently bought it from the first owner, but from what I know, the miles are mostly highway (he's an older gent of about 60 who mostly drove it between CA and CO, and took good care of it).
Symptom: A high-pitched ringing or whining sound, not particularly loud, when accelerating from a complete stop. Best way I can describe it is similar to the ringing in your ears that you hear the morning after a loud rock concert.
- It stops as soon as I let off the gas, sometimes starts again when I hit the gas again.
- It stops if I hit the brakes, and generally doesn't start again if I keep driving.
- If it stops by the action described above, and then I come to a complete stop, it starts again when I start driving again.
- Occasionally the noise happens out of the blue while I'm driving, in which case it stops if I let off the gas (this is less frequent).
- Even more strange, when the noise happens, it has sometimes continued for about 10-20 seconds after I turn off the vehicle.
- All of the above is intermittent; for example, it happened a few times last week, and then hasn't happened again until tonight. All in all, it's pretty infrequent.
- I haven't been able to pinpoint where it's coming from.
Last edited by Stricklandia; 05-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Reason: Refining description of symptoms