How Long can the X Idle on a Full Tank - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2008 Sex-Terra USAF Vet, 04-08, F-16 Crew Chief

How Long can the X Idle on a Full Tank

Me and some friends are planning a camping trip this memorial day. We are going in the sticks. No cell coverage, bears and wolves. Its gonna be awesome.

Anyway. Forward operating base X will need some formal lighting aside from the fire.

How long do you think the X can run of a full tank at idle? Ive slept in it before doing some winter camping but turned it off and on through out the night which will probably end up happening with this trip. Im going to have a inverter running off the electrical system to power some LED work lights. No high current items.

But hypothetically, if I didnt turn it off, will a tank run for 12 hours? Or a full night?

Titan length rads 2.0, .5" top plate spacers, Titan swapped, 3.36 converted w/m226, locker bypass, Daker rear leafs w/HD add a leaf, 3-5" Bils, Adj shackles, IMS spacer, Magnaflow 2 in-1 out muffler with OEM y-pipe delete, KNN drop in, OEM fogs added, Ridged LEDs, Blacked out X

Last edited by Sexy-Terra; 05-16-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 PM

Long story short, I got stranded with my son on a cold night and I let it idle all night to stay warm. Used just under 1/4 tank IIRC.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
emtmark and AlbatrossCafe like this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2008 Sex-Terra USAF Vet, 04-08, F-16 Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Long story short, I got stranded with my son on a cold night and I let it idle all night to stay warm. Used just under 1/4 tank IIRC.

You pulling my leg? There is so much conflicting info on this subject. One side of the fence says its bad for the engine, its far less efficient then the vehicle under load it mixes more fuel with the air, which accumulates in the engine oil....ext

And the other side of the fence reports its all gravy

Well I guess Im going to find out. When I think in my head, i really cant imagine more then a half tank at idle over 8 hours.

But I could be very wrong.

Titan length rads 2.0, .5" top plate spacers, Titan swapped, 3.36 converted w/m226, locker bypass, Daker rear leafs w/HD add a leaf, 3-5" Bils, Adj shackles, IMS spacer, Magnaflow 2 in-1 out muffler with OEM y-pipe delete, KNN drop in, OEM fogs added, Ridged LEDs, Blacked out X

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:08 AM

No legs or chains being pulled my man. There were very brief periods I turned it off, but given how cold it was it was on virtually all night.

Sexy-Terra likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
How is it bad for the engine? If the engine is running properly, it shouldn't be an issue at all. I would highly recommend buying a 2nd battery to bring with you. I've used my X camping a lot and have a power invertor plugged into the battery and used a box fan all night long and it cranks just fine in the morning. If you have a quality battery, you won't need to run the X all night long. Just periodically crank it for 10-15 mins to let the alt charge it if you are really concerned about it. All depends on how many lights you are running and what their wattage is. I have left a 30w 10" bar on for over 6 hours and I expected it to not crank up but it fired right up. All depends on the quality of your current battery but def bring another one with you or a jump box just in case.
DaveN likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXterra View Post
"100% of people with snorkels have bigger wieners than those without snorkels."
-Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD605X View Post
How is it bad for the engine? If the engine is running properly, it shouldn't be an issue at all.
I agree that this shouldn't be an issue for the engine, but race cars and dirt bikes are always racing their engines at the starting line in order to circulate oil.

Perhaps this explains that train of thought? Just trying to understand the other side. Perhaps they say that the engine would starve for oil after hours of idling.

But to reiterate your point, if the engine is functioning properly it shouldn't matter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: 292
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
I agree that this shouldn't be an issue for the engine, but race cars and dirt bikes are always racing their engines at the starting line in order to circulate oil.

None of my dirt bikes have engine oil, should I be concerned?
blopez308 likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
We are going in the sticks. No cell coverage, bears and wolves. Its gonna be awesome.
You're actually planning on running your truck all night long to provide light?
mmm'k

This will run all night long, for a week.

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran
2006 Red Brawn Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKNUT View Post
You're actually planning on running your truck all night long to provide light?
mmm'k

This will run all night long, for a week.
I had the same thought. I cannot understand running the engine all night when you could do this, or any number of LED camping lanterns. I could totally see running it for heat in a winter camping or survival situation... but for light?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
None of my dirt bikes have engine oil, should I be concerned?
So on a 2-stroke, does racing the engine keep more oil in the cylinders? Haha forgot about those

: 292

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode