Automatic Transmission Swap - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
2005 Brawn Red Xterra SE 4x4

Automatic Transmission Swap

I love my XTerra. It is a 2005 SE 4WD - I bought it right off the showroom floor. Currently at 354,XXX miles and the transmission is starting to slip.

I have researched extensively and cannot find an answer concerning a transmission swap.

CarPart.com has many automatic transmission available from 2005-2015. Nissan has different part#'s for every year except 2010-2013 & 2014-2015. When I search for 2005 tranny's they are like over $2,000. For a 2015 with low miles they are only asking around $1,500. Is there a reason the older ones are more expensive?

Is there any way to get a 2015 XTerra Automatic transmission to work in my 2005 SE? What would entail making it work?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM
2007 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

Garage
Someone on here has done it. I believe the ecu or computer for the trans has to be swapped.

Last edited by Shortbuss; 04-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 PM
2006 Super Black Xterra SE

Garage
It should work without modification if it comes off an Xterra from the research i've done.

I'm about to swap a 4wd 2012 in my 2wd 2006 and I'll let you know if you want

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

That should be an interesting swap. Do you have an entire donor vehicle? Where are you getting your parts from?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKiller2006 View Post
It should work without modification if it comes off an Xterra from the research i've done.

I'm about to swap a 4wd 2012 in my 2wd 2006 and I'll let you know if you want

Yes please post this and any how to information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click Here for Build >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texterra View Post
That should be an interesting swap. Do you have an entire donor vehicle? Where are you getting your parts from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadswitch View Post
Yes please post this and any how to information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be posting all the information here RoadKiller2006's 2wd to 4wd Conversion

And Texterra, I was going to get a donor vehicle at first, but I couldn't find a place to store it / work on it so i bought everything from junkyards.

Click Here for >
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

That is an awesome list of parts and prices. Where are you getting that Jatco RE5R05A tranny from? That is a beautiful price.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texterra View Post
That is an awesome list of parts and prices. Where are you getting that Jatco RE5R05A tranny from? That is a beautiful price.
Lkqonline on ebay. It was 847 + 210 shipping from canada to georgia

Click Here for >
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra S

I too have owned my rig since new, and while it has zero problems currently, at 265K miles I am trying to learn all I can. I suggest you google RE5R05A as there are a lot of good threads on other forums, both for other vehicles as well as generic trans forums. The transmission was very popular.

My limited understanding is that:

All the RE5R05A are basically the same. However there are at least 3 planetary arrangements (representing different gearing for different applications), and that there are multiple TCM's. I would think its safe to assume all 4WD Xterra's have the same planetary?? however its completely feasible they changed the TCM at some point.

A few people seem to say a reflash is required of the TCM on replace, but some say it is not. It seems that a new TCM definitely requires a flash, but there sold blank. I can't find anything definitive. A number of people I read simply removed the valve body from their old trans (which contains the TCM) and installed it in the new trans?

Good luck. Please post back what you find out in the end for the rest of us!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. I'm even considering a re-manufactured replacement tranny from places like Street Smart transmissions for around $2,900. It seems expensive, but getting another car that is used is going to cost more than a tranny. This vehicle beside the transmission is solid. The engine still does not have any leaks and burns no oil - which impresses me at over 354,XXX miles.

I'm fighting between a used transmission that I would swap out the TCM for mine and a Street Smart tranny.

What do ya think?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode