EFI to Carb Conversion - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2012 Xterra S, Towing

Garage
EFI to Carb Conversion

Has anyone thought about doing this? Fuel economy would suck, and probably mess with the computer big time but it's an interesting idea. Holley 750cfm swap anybody?

One of my buddies did this with a late 90's GMC yukon along with a turbo and full exhaust, that thing ran like a stock car. Had nearly 200k on it and could still beat most of the fast cars in our area. It would be really cool to see an X that had some "old school" speed parts in it.

Last edited by Rhett Casey; 04-20-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Why would you want to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2012 Xterra S, Towing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Why would you want to?
Mostly for opening up options for power adders. Plus IMO they're a hell of a lot easier to work with than EFI systems. Tuning with a wrench beats a laptop any day, and you hopefully don't have to worry about throwing some code that activates the ejection seat when you change your spark plugs

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM
2005 Super Black Xterra SE

I can see why he would be interested on doing that to a Tahoe, which probably came with a SBC. The carb bolted right on, exhaust manifolds are cheap and plentiful. Doing that to a VQ would be a lot harder, as they don't to my knowledge offer an intake that would accommodate a carb and the ignition/transmission would become a nightmare. If you really wanted to do forced induction you'd be best to try the SC that Stillen makes for it or get the exhaust manifolds they are making for the Z and G cars as they might fit. You'd still need to reprogram the ECU.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Ive done Carb to EFI on motorcycles but never anything such on a car. Let us know what you do! Sounds like a GIANT PITA!!!!
agentorange likes this.

Specializing in Custom one of a kind motorcycles with men & women's clothing

@droogmoto-Instagram
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2012 Xterra S, Towing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfunkhouser View Post
I can see why he would be interested on doing that to a Tahoe, which probably came with a SBC. The carb bolted right on, exhaust manifolds are cheap and plentiful. Doing that to a VQ would be a lot harder, as they don't to my knowledge offer an intake that would accommodate a carb and the ignition/transmission would become a nightmare. If you really wanted to do forced induction you'd be best to try the SC that Stillen makes for it or get the exhaust manifolds they are making for the Z and G cars as they might fit. You'd still need to reprogram the ECU.
Thanks man, I'll take a look at some of the Stillen offerings. I had checked them out a while back but I didn't think to look at fitments to see what options I had for the Xterra. If I end up doing it, I'll likely swap out the ignition for a full MSD setup, but I'm still not sure what to do about the transmission. Any tranny suggestions would be appreciated, preferably one that requires a transmission control unit so that's one less thing I can screw up. The hard part in that department is going to be finding one that can operate with the VQ40 in terms of having the right capability for power adders without being too large to fit
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Some members here have installed the Stillen. Search for them and you'll get a good idea of what's involved. If you want to go all-in and build this motor for a turbo you'd be best off to check the Z car forums. They do a bunch of that stuff to the VQ.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM
2007 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

Garage
Don't think you would benefit much on the xterra. Seems like less hassle to instal a 5.6.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbuss View Post
Don't think you would benefit much on the xterra. Seems like less hassle to instal a 5.6.
Considering the money you'd spend on a turbo and the required hardware/software the 5.6 would be a bargain.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM

It worked on the old TBI Chevy's because the TBI is basically a carb. It improved those motors because the EFI back in those days wasn't all that great. I've seen a few guys at car shows that took LS's and swapped out the EFI for a Holly (I think) double or triple carb set up. They did it for looks. Everyone I talked to said they lost performance, but they were also trailer queens, so who really knows.

Seems like a ton of trouble to go through to optimize a motor that is basically as tuned as you can get, without slapping on a supercharger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfunkhouser View Post
Considering the money you'd spend on a turbo and the required hardware/software the 5.6 would be a bargain.
The 5.6 will only give you about 40 extra hp.
agentorange likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode