Purge Valve Issue **UPDATE** - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Purge Valve Issue **UPDATE**

I just had a repair shop look into my check engine light. They said it was the purge valve. I told them to replace it. Some moneys and a few hours later I drive it home. Coming into work today and that stupid check engine light comes back on. I know it is the purge valve again just by the way it is idling. Is it worth it for me to try to even get this resolved? If the purge valve was replaced what else could it be?

***Update***
I had the code read and it is P0447. The system is stuck open. The valve is good. What would cause the system to stay open?

Last edited by cody0707; Today at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody0707 View Post
I just had a repair shop look into my check engine light. They said it was the purge valve. I told them to replace it. Some moneys and a few hours later I drive it home. Coming into work today and that stupid check engine light comes back on. I know it is the purge valve again just by the way it is idling. Is it worth it for me to try to even get this resolved? If the purge valve was replaced what else could it be?
What is the fault code? You don't know anything until the code is pulled.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran
2005 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
. . . If the purge valve was replaced what else could it be?
A clogged evaporative charcoal canister - the plastic box the purge valve is attached to.

Often these can be "fixed" by blowing out the dust and crud inside with compressed air and running the vent tube to a place where it won't get clogged with dust again.

See these threads: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-...roblem-$5.html and Evap Can Vent Solenoid.

There is also a Nissan TSB on the subject: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...TB07-058a1.pdf

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
'05 Xterra Off Road; '46 Bantam T3-C Offroad Trailer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
^^what he said. The canister fills up with crud as does the valve itself.

During 99% of your driving the purge valve is open, allowing pressure exchange with the atmosphere and the gas tank. The charcoal filter prevents harmful VOCs from escaping.

During a drive cycle, the system closes the purge valve and pressurises the system. If the valve is gummed up and won't close it won't build pressure. On the contrary, if the filter is gummed up, the system will build pressure when it isn't supposed to. Both situations will throw the same code

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 292

"Always ballcock shank your shackle"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Thanks for the help. I'll drop the canister tonight and spray the crap out of it. Kicking myself for not just fixing it myself. The auto shop that I trust must have skipped that step.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'll drop the canister tonight and spray the crap out of it. Kicking myself for not just fixing it myself. The auto shop that I trust must have skipped that step.
Mine threw a code when I was still under warranty. Rather than having them band aid it i cleaned it myself and added the breather. Been code free ever since

Fix it the right way

: 292

"Always ballcock shank your shackle"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Noobie

Quote:

It's your can bro. I put a valve in mine same issue few miles later light came on. God a new can and I'm good now. Drop your spare tire its right there. 10mm bolt. And two lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

I had the auto parts store run the code. The code that came back is P0447. So my system is reading that it is stuck open. What could cause the system to stay open?

My simple fix was a piece of electrical tape covering the check engine light. I would still like to fix the issue though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 12:05 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Read this:

How-to: Solve Evap Canister Problem for $5

Get a new solenoid and do this:

Evap Can Vent Solenoid

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 12:11 PM
Veteran
the 2008 Hybrid Edition

What year and miles? My was bad and spitting out gas when I tried to fuel it. Was covered under warranty as it's a known emission related problem

If you're "Feeling the Bern", I'd get checked out for STD's.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode