M205 Diff - Feels like Parking Brake on in 4WD - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X

Question M205 Diff - Feels like Parking Brake on in 4WD

Sry for all the problem threads, just want to make sure I have everything correct since I'm first time. I thought Titan swap was going to be an "easy, bolt-on application" lol. Hopefully this is my last question...

So I fixed my ABS problem today and was finally able to switch to 4WD with the new (used 2012 with 54k miles) M205 diff. I switched to 4-hi in our gravel driveway. Here is what happened:
  • Both forwards and backwards, going in a straight line, it felt like the parking brake was pulled hard. It took a decent amount of effort to move the truck.
  • While the truck was moving in 4wd, the front wheels were "chirping" on the gravel every few feet.
  • I switched out of 4-hi and back in, and tried this again both forward and reverse. Same results.

I only went 6 or 7mph and for about 30 feet or so. This happens both in drive and reverse. I didn't try anything more substantial cus I didn't want to blow the diff if something was wrong.

Here is what I know so far:
  • This DOES NOT happen in 2wd and the truck rolls just fine.
  • I did a max-braking test from about 35mph to stop and the truck didn't pull to either side so I don't think it has anything to do with brakes.
  • The diff is properly bolted into the truck (pretty hard to mess that up), I reattached the breather tube, and it definitely has diff fluid.

Any ideas?

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 03-05-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:40 AM
Veteran
2010 Lightning Silver Xterra Off Road

Do you have the correct/matching gearing to match the rear? Sounds like you might have different gears front vs. rear. Though I'm no expert.

KK6ENA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npgtech View Post
Do you have the correct/matching gearing to match the rear? Sounds like you might have different gears front vs. rear. Though I'm no expert.
Good point. This would REALLY be frustrating if this is the case. I definitely bought 3.36 which matches my PRO-4x A/T rear. Whether or not LKQ junkyard actually gave me the correct one is another story. Do you know if there is a stamp or something on the housing that I can check?

Build Page -

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 03-05-2017 at 04:56 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:58 AM
Veteran
2010 Lightning Silver Xterra Off Road

I'm not a 100%, but I think there is a post somewhere here TNX that might have that info. There is also a way to tell by the rotations of the output shafts vs the drive shaft input, that is somewhere here on TNX as well.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

KK6ENA

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Just asking, you weren't trying to turn while in 4wd were you?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
M205 diff - feels like parking brake on in 4WD

Sounds like it's not the right gear ratio. That's what is does when they are mis-matched. Did you check the ratio stamped on the ring gear before installing? The tooth count for the ring and pinion will be stamped on there.

Edit, if you didn't, jack up just one front tire and rotate it exactly one turn. Watch the driveshaft. If it turns exactly 3 times (or just a fuzz less), you have the 2.94 gear ratio. If it turns over 3 times (3 - 1/3 rotations) you have the 3.36 ratio.
Golf286 likes this.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and

Last edited by jsexton; 03-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran
2007 Knight Armor Xterra Off Road

I'm betting wrong gear ratio

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

You got the wrong gear ratio bud.

Bummer. Always check first before bolting it all together. Junk yards screw up a lot.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

It is the wrong ratio, no need to further test it. I would look into either pulling both CVs or the front driveline to prevent un-needed wear in the transfercase with the drivelines spinning at different speeds.

You were probably able to move a few feet first and it started to bind up. Same thing happened to me years back when I bought a rear axle assembly from an "auto recycler" for my last rig.

Last edited by Snowtrout; 03-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
I would look into either pulling both CVs or the front driveline to prevent un-needed wear in the transfercase with the drivelines spinning at different speeds.

You were probably able to move a few feet first and it started to bind up.
Yep, that sounds correct.

Damn. So even in 2WD it can still damage the transfer case? Or what do you mean by "un-needed wear"? I've probably driven 200 miles or so on it already. I hope that didn't hurt anything.

Build Page -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode